Eye Care Community
cateracts after epiretinal membrane removal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

I went in for epiretinal membrane removal a week ago.  It appears that within 24 hours of surgery my lense had become compleatly opaque.(so much so he had to do an ultrasound to check the retina).   Now my my doctor is recomending I go in for cateract surgery.  I am so  afraid of this,  I am contemplating living with sight in only one eye. this last week has been very tramatic.  I found references to development of cateracts after retina surgery, but within 24 hours?  I read about complications from cateract surgery & I don't think I could take even more trauma.

Have you heard of this taking place?  How long should I wait before considering cateract surgery?  I am really scared
I also got a rapidly-developing cataract after ERM surgery.  I was 51 years old at the time, and I went from having the very beginnings of a cataract to experiencing yellowed, muted vision less than three months later.  I've read that most middle-aged people have the beginnings (or more) of a cataract .  Perhaps in your case, your cataract was somewhat more developed than mine before your ERM surgery but not yet affecting your vision, so it appeared to have developed instantly.  (It's the lens' exposure to oxygen during retinal surgery that hastens cataract development.  In some cases, they even combine retinal and cataract surgery.)

Please don't worry about cataract surgery; it's extremely unlikely that it will involve complications.  You can anticipate that your vision after cataract surgery will be as good as it was before cataract development (with possibly improved night vision.)  There's an excellent patient education video at www.tecnisiol.com.  

-
Thanks for your reasuring posts. I had my retinal surgery one week ago, my doctor wants me to go in for cateract surgery right away.  (I can only see light & dark), Am I at greater risk going for surgery this soon?  I hate not having sight from the eye, but I want the "best" outcome I can hope for.  Is there a recomendation on how long one should wait for cateract surgery after removal of a enpiretinal membrane?
I don't believe that you are at greater risk for having cataract surgery now.  They sometimes do the cataract surgery on the same date as the surgery to remove the ERM.  According to the medical research, the results of both procedures (ERM removal and cataract) are just as good when performed on the same date as when they are done as separate surgeries months apart.

The cataract surgery is painless and over in about 15 minutes.  It's really a breeze compared to retinal surgery.  And once you have your cloudy lens replaced, you'll be able to see (literally) the benefits of the ERM surgery--clearer vision with less distortion.  Best wishes for an excellent outcome.  
My husband had cataract surgery on his left eye. His sight is now worse than before, he says it looks like he is looking thru wax paper...blurry.
He saw another Dr., had further exams and he has epimacular membrane causing the  blurry vision.  He needs cataract surgery on the right eye, but is hesitant to have it done.  He also has glaucoma in the left eye and had a laser treatment at the time of cataract surgery.
Any advice?
Judy j

I don't think JodiJ monitors the Eye Forum any more. These would be reasonable suggestions:
1. Get a second opinion from a retina Eye MD ophthalmologist on each eye. Both eyes need macular OCT.  RE to make sure does not have ERM and LE to see if macular hole is forming and if he needs membrane peel of ERM.  
2. You can ask his present eye MD to refer you for second retina consultation. Or if you live in USA you can go to www.geteyesmart.org and find a retina Eye MD near you.
3. You can use the search feature and archives to pull up and read the many posts about membrane peeling surgery.
4. If he is getting by it might be worth considering holding off the surgery on RE and get more opinions about LE.  NOTE: when you see other retina Eye MD for 2nd opinion about LE ask them what they recommend about cataract surgery RE. You get both eyes to have 2nd opinion.

JCH MD