Eye Care Community
circular wisps of light?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

circular wisps of light?

Within the last few months I have started seeing floaters which range from small fly-like dots in the sky to blobs and strings across my vision. I visited the eye doctor, and he said my floaters are normal and everything was ok except for an astigmatism in my right eye.

Sometimes, however, if I am in a very brightly lighted area, and then I go to a dark area, I will see a circle of light in my vision, especially when I close my eyes. It looks like wisps of smoke or something moving outwards in a halo surrounding my central vision. Sometimes it also looks like a web or something, but usually it looks like wisps of smoke. This worries me and I am not sure if I should see another eye doctor, or if it is normal when moving from a brightly lit area to a dark area. I wasn't sure if these would be considered 'flashes' of light, as a symptom of retinal detachment or something.

Also another thing, sometimes I'll notice a streak of light in my peripheral vision, as though an ember is flying by or something. I always wonder if i really saw it though, or if it was just myself imagining something because of my worry about my eyes. Thanks a lot for any help.
Also I am 20 years old and male, and in good health as far as I know. I forgot to mention that in the original post.
listen,
no need to worry it is normal to see visual noise when going from a bright room to a darkroom ,its just your visual system adapting,
i  too spent too much time noticing and worrying about everything about my vision after an eye migrane (migraine),
but have come to realise i was just 'too visually aware' as my doc put it,
take care,
Hello Brazol:  I am concerned about your description of your floaters. It suggests bleeding in the eye. I would see another "eye doctor" that needs to be an Eye MD physician-ophthalmologist. If you have one in your area that specializes in retina and vitreous disease that would be even better.

go to www.aao.org and use the Find An Eye MD to locate a retina or general opthalmologist in your area.

JCH III MD
Well, the floaters look just like hairs moving across my vision whenever i look around in a brightly lit area or a room with white walls. However occasional, especially if i squint, i can make out outlines of weird translucent things, which almost look like cells attached to one another or something. the doctor i saw was an opthalmologist, an MD.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
The weird translucent things you see when you squit are normal, I have them too, everyone does if they look carefully enough.  If your floaters increase or you get flashes or loss of peripheral vision see your Eye MD again.

JCH III MD