falling asleep driving
For about a year I've found myself fighting to keep my eyes open while driving and several times have found myself drifting off to sleep. I am not a great sleeper and am sometimes tired with dry-feeling eyes but this is more of a muscular feeling - just literally not able to keep my eye lids open.

I just had the car checked for exhaust fumes and nothing showed up. I drive with my husband and dogs to work and they seem fine... the sleep specialist I saw said the only answer is not enough sleep at night and wanted a sleep study. I own a small business and have a $2500 deductible so that's sort of out.
Those are not suggestive of eye disease. You won't hurt anything though by seeing an ophthalmologist.

Sleep apnea and nacrolepsy and myasthenia gravis are three things that definitely need to be ruled out. Other common things: medication side effects including OTC like benadryl and in some people alcohol use.

Keep looking.  Discuss specifically with them sleep apnea, narcolepsy and myasthenia gravis.

JCH III MD
Thank you so much for the response... I guess I need the sleep study and will just have to step up for the $2500 deductible after all. Small price to pay if there's an answer.

Thanks again!
welcome
JCH MD