Eye Care Community
floaters after retinal detachment surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

It's been a month and a week after my retinal detachment surgery on my right eye....I saw some light flashes after 2 weeks but the doctor said that sometimes after surgery, you could still see light flashes for months after but that it is normal even after a successful surgery....

But I forgot to ask about floaters....I saw my doctor 2 and a half weeks ago and he did an ultrasound on my right eye...he said my retina looks good and the light flashes could go on for weeks and months....but what about floaters?

I double checked and I am pretty sure I saw a few floaters on my right eye (same eye that had the surgery) bec I know the bubble in my right eye is so small now and is going away....is it normal to have some floaters too even after retinal detachment surgery?

I wont see my doctor for 5 more days (my next appt) but I thought I would ask here if it is normal to have floaters as well even after surgery?  Help....thanks so much

The floaters will remain unless you also had a pars plana vitrectomy for the retinal detactmeht,   Also, why was an ultrasound done.  Was the doctor unable to see the retina completely?

Dr. O.
Yes.  The doctor couldnt see the retina properly when I came in about the flashes that I still saw about 2-3 weeks after retinal detachment surgery.  He said there was still blood in the area where my retina detached so he did an ultrasoulnd.  He said my retina looked good.

What is pars plana vitrectomy?  Is that something that can be done to make the floaters and flashes go away too...is this attaching the vitreous layer too just like the retina?

How long will the floaters and flashes go away?....I am now about a month and 10 days post Retinal detahcment surgery....i still have the bubble in my eye...very small now...i think almost gone now acttually.....i dont see the flashes much anymore...every once in a while...I see it during the say....didnt see it for the past few days ...but I saw it this morning by my window....but I started seeing the floaters yesterday on top of the eye that had the RD surgery...is the bubble going away w/c is why i can start seeing some floaters again?.....ill enumerate my questions below again:

-what is pars plana vitrectomy?  is this an operation that can be done to attach the vitreou layer as well like the retina?
-how long till the flashes and floater will go away?  i dont want to have them forever....will some people have them forever after RD?
-what will i start seeing when the bubble really starts to go away?  if it's half gone...will I see half frommy eye too?  just little nervous on how this will happen...
-do people live normal lives after RD surgery?  do some people never have it again and live long lives w/o it occuring again?  I have made lost of changes in my life already....watching what I eat...just cant exercise right now....but I do think about tom and a few years from now....like what I can do to prevent this from happeneing again...

Thanks Dr. O....appreciate your response to my questions....