Eye Care Community
gas bubble

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

gas bubble

Looking for some info on gas bubble in eye after surgery and how you experienced it dissipating.

I'm seeing the bubble still though it seems clearer and bounces around a lot more had have like plastic film across the other part of the eye.  Is this the bubble breaking up?

Thank you
The bubble will eventually dissipate. From my experience, it seems like it should go away faster than it actually does. :) There are lots of posts about dealing with the gas, basically just have patience.

You can also look up the half life of your particular gas to give a better idea about how long it will take.
You will notice less blockage of vision inferiorly as bubble gets smaller.

Dr. O.
I had my surgery to repair hole in macular 15 days ago.  The gas bubble finally dissappeared today.  It was quite an experience.  I had to go to dr. 2nd day after surgery and could see absolutely nothing.  She held up 2 fingers and I couldn't see anything.  Went through the downward positioning.  My doctor only required downward 45 mins out of every hour, giving me 15 mins to go to bathroom, get water, etc.  He also only required 5 days of the positioning and let me sleep in my bed with instructions to lay on either side but NOT on my back.  I did this and about day 3 or 4 I started seeing at the top some clear.  It was like I was under water and could just barely see the top of the clearing with periferal top vision.  Everyday this would move down a little bit causing crazy things to happen in my eye.  I guess about day 6 I had my next appt and the bubble was just above half way really causing me difficulty with depth perception.  everyday was somewhat of a change.  The next couple of days got a little better after the bubble moved past the mid area.  I didn't drive until the 13 day.  I might could have but didn't.  By this time the bubble had moved in lower position and had gotten thinner because I could see vaguely through it.  14 day I woke up and had something that resembled a pool with a black circular area around it and two tiny bubbles that had broken off from it.  It also, got very giggly after it pasted the mid section of vision field.
this afternoon, it started getting smaller and finally totally went away.  By the way, I had also been seeing what appeared to be plastic across the part above the bubble like you mentioned.  Good luck.  I am now still seeing the distortion in the area that was supposed to be repaired.  I hope this is normal and my surgery was successful.  I will see the doctor in 4 days and hope he has good news for me.
I had my surgery 8 days ago.  When I went to the Dr 2 days ago, he was suprised that my bubble had shrunk as much as it had, but he said that was okay and that it had "done it's job".  It seems that mine "jiggled" more the first few days than it is now.  After a few days I was able to see through it somewhat.  Two days out I could tell what color hair people had and the color of there clothes.  Since the last few days I have been able to see well enough through the eye to tell who people are.  Now the bubble "seems" to be about half the size it originally was.  I test myself CAREFULLY driving short distances and seem to be fine with it.  My eye doesn't hurt, but it aches, so I take some extra strength Tylenol and that screws up my stomach!!  argh...

Every doctor seems to have different post-op methods for dealing with the surgery.  My doctor said I only had to have my head down for 20 to 30 minutes 3 or 4 times a day and I could sleep on either side, but not my back.  (Anyone have any info on how long you have to go before sleeping on your back?  I'm going to have to go for a massage tomorrow since mine hurts so much.)

The comment I would make about the face down part is that this is definitely harder on a woman than a man.  It is very difficult to find a comfortable position to lie in!!!

But I do have to say that of all the various surgeries I've been through his has been the easiest it deal with.
I had a scleral buckle and C3F8 gas bubble right eye inferior retina detachment done exactly 28 days or four weeks ago. The gas bubble is about 40% according to my retina specialist yesterday. I can see the gas-water line which shimmers when I move my head. I read somewhere that it can take 5-8 weeks to fully reabsorb so I'll have to wait for another few weeks more.

I don't have headaches anymore and I have returned to work as a GP. But reading the computer is difficult aged five minutes so I read on the iPhone and keep it short, checking emails etc.

I would like to thank this website for the immense support from all the replies.
I had a gas bubble put in 32 days agp. It broke up into two about an hour ago. Just now, it merged back into one again. I read somewhere that breaking up is quite common as the bubble shrinks.
I had the same exact experience you described in your post. How is your vision now- a year later?
Thanks for sharing.
Not great, I hate to admit.  Like the Dr. said, it's had surgery.  It always feels like there is something in my eye.  It hurts sometimes, sometimes is a little foggy, lots of floaters but I can see, so I'm not complaining.  Did end up with a cataract on that eye that I had removed as well.  Hoping the other eye hangs in there.  If I had to depend on the the eye that had the detached retina I'd be in sad shape but with two, it works. How are your eyes?
I had my surgery 21 days ago I still have to lie on my right side to sleep and a few hours during the day my dr told me the gas bubble would disapate on about six weeks. I thought that it would have started by now but NOPE
I have no vision in that eye, can only make out colors for a second then they go away
All I can tell everyone is this is serious business  you could lose sight if you don't follow instructions to the letter
Additionally I had laser in the right eye and that healed in 3-4 days
My last post was may 10 2012 the bubble still has not yet dissipated but seems to be getting smaller I still sleep on my right side as per dr instructions this morning I started to be able to see some things that look slot closer than they reLly are so hang in there. It will go away
I HOPE
Saw dr June 1 he said everything going fine
Still have  30% of bubble left However I put in contacts June 5 at least I can see something still with line better than nothing
I had a vitrectomy for a macular pucker.  Apparently, the retinal surgeon at first thought it was a macular hole, but during the surgery I heard him say I didn't have a macuar hole.  What I have experienced though, after 2 1/2 months after vitrectomy and gas bubble that after the bubble dissipated I was left with a large dark round "thing" in the lower part of my vision where the bubble was when it went away.  Does anyone know what this is and will it eventually go away.  The retinal surgeon says he does not know what it is and he has examined me very well.  Any ideas?