gas permeable Hard contact lenses
I have been diagnosed with an irregular eye shape, Not just cornea but my eye structure.  the cornea forms irregular over that structure as it has been explained to me.  The solution I was offered is a hard contact lens and not soft contact lens.   I have tried both in the Dr. Office and the hard are much more uncomfortable than the soft.  But the hard contact does make my vision much better.  So I am asking for those who wear hard contacts, after wearing them for a time do they become bearable?   I would be willing to go through an adjustment to them, but the constant discomfort might not be an option I am willing to deal with.  I need to make a decision and it is rare to find someone who still uses hard contacts in the real world.  Or is there another contact that might be rigid but more comfortable?   Please I need to know what to expect.  thank you
There is a hybrid contact.  I have no personal experience with it.

http://www.synergeyes.com/consumer/contact-lens-qa/
thank you for responding to my inquiry.  My Dr. did mention those, but also said that it was not as successful as they thought it might be.  I am wondering if the hard contacts are tolerated over time or if the feeling of having something in ones eye is something that will always be there and just tolerated by those who have them.
Some people are totally fine with them after a few weeks/months. Others never adjust. I have known people who are totally fine.

Some people are more comfortable in hard contacts then in soft due to dryness and choose to wear them.

As for the feeling of having something in your eye- the answer is both that it will go away, and it is permanent and will never go away, it depends on your perspective. Take a rubber band that fits tightly around your wrist, but not so tight it actually cuts off your circulation. Pay close attention to it. You should be able to feel it digging into your skin. Don't take it off. Go about your day and ignore it. 24 hours later tally up how many times you actually felt the rubber band there. Most people will answer almost never, once or twice.
Take off a ring you have worn for a long time. Your finger feels like a piece is missing for a few days. Put on a new ring on a finger where you don't wear one, you feel like theres something stuck to you for a few days, if its a thick ring, it might even hurt for a while.

Same thing with the contacts. When theres always something stuck in your eye, you don't notice that there is something stuck in your eye after a while. In fact, it feels wierd to not have something stuck in your eye.