Eye Care Community
how long for vision recovery after vitrectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

I am 7 l/2 weeks after vitrectomy for small macular hole.  I still have blank opaque splotches where I can't see anything.  They were black and now are white/opaque.  Will these go away?  How long will it be before the maximum vision recovery?
The recovery from this type of surgery is SLOW. Use the search feature, archives and health topics to read the many posts from people that have had that type of surgery.

JCH III MD
It has been 5 months now and I still cannot read with this eye due to 3 blank areas.  Is there any possibility of improvement?  Is there anything else that can be done?
What does your surgeon say about your vision and the possibilities for improvement?  Maybe it would be a good idea to get a second opinion from another retinal specialist.  Are you able to read when you use both eyes?
My surgeon says most improvement is made within 12 weeks. He does not discuss much of anything with me unless I insist and then is it a one or two word answer.    I can see well with the other eye.  Can anyone recommend a retinal specialist in Illinois for a second opinion?
It's really a challenge to find a retinal specialist with good communication skills.  Where in Illinois do you live?  I'm in Chicago.
I am in Bloomington, IL
You're about 2 1/2 hours SW of Chicago.  I tried Castle-Connolly's directory, but the best I could do geographically was Dr. Kirk Packo, who has an office in Harvey (708-596-8710).  That would probably be a 2-hour drive for you.  I saw Dr. Packo once myself for a second opinion, and he impressed me as being highly skilled and very thorough.  I think you'd find him more personable than your current surgeon.

If you'd prefer a referral closer to home, you could try the directory at www.aao.org.  All the ophthalmologists listed are board-certified.  You'd probably want to choose someone who has been practicing 10+ years.

Best of luck.    
I really believe you should try someone highly recommended. like Dr Packo. Most of all, I hope your get a second opinion. I have had bad luck with retinologists. I will be going out of town to see one of the Castle-Connelly doctors.

I wish the best for you.
-