jagged flashing consistent light
I am experiencing a large jagged outline of consistent flashing lights.  It is with my eyes open and closed.  It's on the right side.  Is this serious?  Is there something I can do to resolve this?
It could be serious. It is a symptom that absoutely requires you to see an ophthalmologist ASAP. I would call today.

If the flashes are very short duration like a bolt of lightening or flashbulb then it could be due to traction on the retina.

If the flashes are lasting 5-30 minutes or more it could be eye migraines which often don't have headaches or TIA transient ischemic attack due to disease of eye, brain, heart or blood vessels.]

If it gets worse over the weekend go to an emergency room. Try and reach an ophthalmologists answering service right now to discuss. Find an Eye MD near you at www.aao.org

If you are young, female and smoke this is very important to stop smoking as even eye migraines can lead to small strokes in smokers. Likewise if you are on birth control pills VIP to get this checked out.

JCH MD

JCH MD
Thank you for your response.  It went away as quickly as it started after about 20 - 30 minutes.  I do have an upcoming appointment for an eye exam in a few weeks.  I don't smoke or take birth control pills.  I will call the doctor's office tomorrow to see if they think I should come in sooner.
Good idea.

JCH MD