Eye Care Community
lens choices conclusions, waiting it out?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

I'm about ready to have cataract surgery.
Having my university studies in bioengineering, I've been doing my research thoroughly before I dive in
Please correct me on my conclusions if I am wrong:
1)the Crystalens idea is neat providing multifocal images as the natural lens, reducing glare vs. acrylic, but the material choice and edge shape are conducive to posterior capsular opacification occurring
2) Rezoom-type lenses require brain retraining, practically forcing you to learn to live with vision similar to an insect
3)monofocal lenses leave a lot to be desired, except in instances when both eyes are done, and one is set to focus close and the other far, where they do ok.
4)torics solve the astigmatism issue, but have a set focus like monofocals

My last " discovery" in my online searching is the Acrysof Restore Multifocal toric.
Other lenses by the same company were described in an info packet handed out at the "best" clinic in my area, but not this one. Old articles I find announce a 2010 release. One last look at the Alcon page yields an asterisk
*This lens has not been clinically tested
Described features make it sound like panacea. Does this thing exist? Do I need to find another doc? Was it a complete failure in clinical trials? Delayed?
Because of a previous small retinal tear, I'm trying to avoid YAG at all cost while retaining a multifocal ability. I do have moderate astigmatism.

Is presbyopia like being far-sighted within arm's length? How is dealing with that like? (I'm planning on  grad school, and juggling glasses doesn't sound appealing)

Review of Opthamology from 3/8/2012 implies study conclusion on the lens in 2012. FDA approval takes how long?
Most importantly, am I risking anything besides eye strain by waiting for a better lens?
Tags: lens, waiting
If I wouild get a non-toric multifocal or regular lens while having astigmatism, would wearing astigmatism-correcting glasses together with the iol produce any weird  multiple-lens effects? Reflections?
you can see it non prescription colored contacts
1. Yes but the incidence of posterior capsular opacification and yag is still low with the Crystalens and it is superior in the view of most surgeons to the ReStor and near defunct ReZoom
2. My opinion forget ReZoom don't know why its still on the market.
3.Aspheric monofocal IOLs do not leave much to be desired; are the world standard and are the type I would put in my eye if I needed cataract surgery.
4.Torics usually correct some or all the astigmatism but there is no guarentee there might not be some residual astigmatism.
5. There is no "perfect" IOL and there is no universal agreement among fabulous surgeons which one is the best.
6. If you will do a literature search you will find an article in Survey of Ophthalmology in which Dr. Kutryb and I found that patients with multifocal/accommodative IOLS were 23 times more likely to come here with problems than patients with monofocal IOLS.
7. If you opt for a "premium" IOL multifocal/Accommodating IOL a. the optics are not as good especially at night b. dyphotopsia is more common c. the surgery involves more risk and expense d. you may still need glasses for some things.

All the rest of your concerns have been addressed here many times and you can use the search feature and archives to read them. I will have no further comments as I cannot make the choice of lens for you.  As they say "different strokes for different folks"

Good luck
JCH MD