macular thickening
I was referred to an ophthalmologist by my optometrist over a year ago because my vision in my left eye, even with correction, is not as clear as before. I was told I had macular edema, a swelling under the macula, which causes this distortion. I was told that if it was serious enough a retina specialist could insert a needle and withdraw the fluid, but I did not need that procedure now.
I was prescribed antibiotic eyedrops for an extended period of time. The vision improved a bit, then reverted to what it was. At my latest visit with the opthalmologist I was told that it's not fluid, but thickening of the macula itself. Removing fluid would not be a solution. Only surgery to reduce the thickness of the macula would help. This is not indicated at this point.
I am confused about the two different explanations, and about any implications that thickening of the macula may have.
Thank you.
The first explanation does not fly. A needle is not used to remove fluid from the macula like draining a blister.

I suggest you get a second opinion fron another retina Eye MD. Find one near you at www.aao.org

Treatment for macular edema is usually eye drops or laser.

JCH MD
Is the laser treatment less invasive then the injection and how does the treatment actually work and what are the risks?  Thanks
mike230
Both involve risks. Injection risks include infection, bleeding, retinal detachment, glaucoma and cataracts. Laser RX include damage to eye and blank spots in visual field.

You and your surgeon will need to work through these

JCHMD
Thanks again, this is day #3 with the predlisone and acular and I can tell the drops are starting to do their thing.  You said 6 to 8 wks.  The edema was caught in it's very early stage
mike230
-