Eye Care Community
medications prescribed prior to cataract surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

What medications are usually prescribed prior to cataract surgery? My doctor gave me prescriptions for Zymar  (0.3%), to be used 4X daily for 3 days AND Xibrom (0.09%), 2 X daily for 3 days prior to surgery. After looking on the RXlist medication information site, it says that Xibrom should be used only 24 hours prior to cataract surgery. Any longer could cause corneal adverse events......what kind of events? I'm really nervous about surgery and am beginning to question if I want to go through with it at this time.....What are preferred anesthesias? What do you think about injections, etc......Sometimes, too much reading (on the internet) is confusing......and distressing.....

Also, what does OD, OS, and OU mean.....thanks for any information you offer.....
OD = right eye  OS = left eye  OU means both eyes.

Your Eye MD is using an excellent choice of mediciation, our group uses the same. The schedule will give your maximum protection against infection and swelling of the retina.

Your anesthesia choice are topical (drops or ointment of fluid put in the eye). You will be able to see and move the eye and there is greater chance of pain and discomfort.

Injection anesthesia you will not  be able to see out of the eye, not move the eye, less pain but greater chance of bleeding and rare chance of double vision.

JCH MD
At the surgery center I went to, most of the patients have topical anesthesia (eye drops) and light IV sedation.  They are awake but relaxed during the surgery and usually can't remember it afterward.  This is the norm for cataract surgery in my area, and it might be a good option for you.  I chose to use the eye drops without the sedation.  I could feel pressure, but the surgery wasn't painful.  Either way, the whole thing is over very quickly, and you'll soon be on your way home.  (Some people go out for breakfast afterward.)  Don't worry, you'll do fine.  
-