normal floaters and dangerous floaters?
how different are retinal tear floaters different from normal floaters? i have about 5-10 floaters in each eye, not visible always, only when I look at a plain background or the sky. if i had a tear, would i be able to ignore the floaters or are they permanently there?
also, how long does it take for the retina to attach? i started seeing floaters about.... 2 weeks ago, have suffered no loss of vision or flashes since then.
3rd question (sorry!) what are the flashes of light? can I miss them or are they very noticeable?
I have rarely experienced flashes of light in spite of having the retina in my left eye needing treatment a couple of years ago for an epiretinal memberane (macular pucker), and my right eye having a asymptomatic horseshoe shaped tear that was treated by laser.  I had floaters in both eyes for decades prior, although they were never really numerous or bothersome.

My recommendation would be to have a dilated eye exam performed by an ophthalmologist if for no other reason than to ease your mind.
I agree an you need to start by seeing an ophthalmologist for a dilated exam and a discussion of your concerns.
Hello! Thanks for replaying. I did see an ophthalmologist and had a dilates exam, he said my retinas were healthy. My family has no history of detached retinas and my vision is 20/20 but since I play a lot of sports, I was just asking since early treatment is critical. Just need to know when I should be concerned about floaters.
Hello! Thanks for answering. I did have a full dilated exam and everything was okay. I have perfect vision but I do play a lot of sports so I was asking the difference between normal floaters and those who signal a retinal tear. I've read stories online (bad move on my part) that even 1 or 2 floaters meant a retinal tear for a lot of people so just asking.
I would move on from worrying about floaters but I would wear sports specific eye protection for all sports.  Just took care of a serious eye injury from soccer ball and another tennis racket.
Thank you. It's a little hard to move on since they're in front of my eyes and reading stories online about tears was not a good idea because I've heard people say that even one or two floaters meant a retinal tear.
50% of people have floaters by age 50. One in 10,000 have retinal detachment. That's pretty unlikely odds to be so troubled
Okay. Thanks a lot!
Completely unrelated question but I'm curious, what are your views on the cure for blindness and a permanent cure for glaucoma? Do you think it is possible?
Blindness, so many causes. Long way off in the future. Glaucoma biggest problem is not diagnosed (patient not have eye exams) and non-compliance (patients not take medicines and stop going to doctors).
Always helpful to know the opinion of an expert on this. Just one last question, not even a question, just tell me if I got this right.
The only receptor in our eyes is the light receptor, whenever it is stimulated we get flashing lights in our eyes.
If I get this right, a retinal tear flashes (since the retina is coming off and gets stimulated) have to be repeated and constant, whether in light and dark?
Worrying about a flash or two in a span of a day is not a concern, if I get repeated nonstop flashing (because the sensors are repeatedly getting stimulated) I should be worried? As once the retina starts coming off nothing but surgery can stop it so that would mean an endless shower of lights.
I feel a lot of the websites are not clear on this and just list flashing lights as a symptom of RD and it gets confusing and understandably stressful.
I'm signing off. You are starting to obsess, I'm not going to be an enabler. I've said what I can.