Eye Care Community
orbital decompression

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

orbital decompression

I was at the eye doctor today and he suggested that i consider getting orbital decompression surgery. I have graves disease and it was treated in 2005. My eyes over the last 2 years have buldged and i feel like everyone is looking at them not me. I can tell that its still getting worse but i have no vision change. they hurt and get dry often but i still have good vision. should i get the surgery before something happenes or what untill my vision starts to go bad?
Use the search feature and archives to read the many posts and discussions about orbital decompression surgery. It is big time surgery with a long recovery period. It often however can save sight and dramatically improve appearance.

Be sure you are under the care of an experieinced oculoplastic surgeon that does a lot of these procedures.

CJH MD
thank you I have looked and they are a big help. I'm going to a surgeon in Portland Or. He is at the Oregon Health & Science University /Dr. Roger Dailey.If you could tell me if you know anything about him that would be helpful. Its about a 2 and a half hour drive one way to go see him so if he is a good enough surgen then I will continue to make the drive.
Once again thank you for your input.
I do not know Dr. Dailey but if he is at Orgeon and is a oculoplastic surgeon he should certainly be very competent.

JCH MD
I have the same thing with my eyes due to graves disease....do you happen to know of any Oculoplastic surgeons in Jacksonville, FL?  Thanks.

LC
No, I don't know any Oculoplastic surgeons in Jacksonville, FL.  I live in Pensacola FL and I traveled to Birmingham, AL for my orbital decompression surgery on Jan 7th.  It was done at the Callahan Eye Hospital at UAB by Dr. John Long.  It was no walk in the park but I am so glad I did it.  My results are amazing. The bruising and swelling are not gone but I awoke from surgery with no more double vision.  I would recommend this to anyone.  The results far out weigh the pain and down time.  Just something to think about.  Look up Dr Long on the internet.  He is in a group called Alabama Opthamology.

RFM4310

RFM4310
I have graves disease and will be traveling 2 1/2 hours to see a doctor to see if I need orbital decompression surgery. My eyes have started bulging over the last two years and they are starting to bother me more than normal. I don't have the double vision and I can still move my eyes around. But, more than likely I will eventually end up at this stage, correct? I guess I'm asking if having the surgery would be proactive and I won't have to deal with these things in the future.

I can't speak for any one else but I had the decompression of both eyes in 2004, I am so grateful to my Melbourne Doctor for giving me the confidence again to feel normal... in public, although after the decompession ( over six hours in surgery) I had to go back twice. I had the muscles on my eye lids cut so that I could close my eyes at night and then some tissue from my  inside lip put under one eye. After all that it was definately worth it I look soooooo much better and less self concious, therefore would recommend it to anyone with graves!
Hello, I had both eyes done 8 yrs ago --graves--horrible, I've had numbness to my right face ever since.  My appearance is better and the constant eye dripping stopped, but, the numbness makes me nuts,  I've seen many, many doctors, accupunture, therapists to deal with this horrible problem...so be careful what you wish for.  from --Very sad, in Rhode Island
I had Surgery on my eyes in Dec the numbness is in my left side.   I was hoping it would go away.   Darn it