Eye Care Community
pigmentation
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

pigmentation

Is it normal to have pigmentation on the retina and what are causes of it? Is it due to sun exposure or genetics? Just a wanted to know if it was similar to pigmentation on the skin.

Related Discussions
6 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
1. yes its normal
2. not sun exposure, its developmental
3. perfect analogy. skin variation and eye variation are quite similiar.

JCH MD
Blank
So If your dark skin (I'm Indian) it's normal to have pigmentation on the retina. I was under the impression sun was the major cause of it. My next question is this anything to concerned about it and can it lead to any kind eye mole, freckle,cyst, tumor. Also how I do protect myself from any more pigmentation...wear sunglasses?
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
1. dark skin, usually brown eyes and a lot of pigment in eye    light complexion just the opposit. Your opinion is incorrect.

Your skin and your eyes need protection from sunlight. Excess sunlight damages skin, can cause skin cancer, skin melanoma, cataracts and macular degeneration.  Hat, suntan lotion high SPF and sunglasses that absort UV.

JCH MD
Blank
Dr. Hagan,

Also just because I got pigmentation on the retina does it increase my chances of getting a eye mole, freckle,cyst, tumor, etc. I'm just a little concerned.

Thank you sir for your information...very helpful.
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
You are not at increased risk.

JCH MD
Blank
One other question. Is pigmentation on the retina the same thing as pigmentation on the choroid? My Eye MD said it was choroidial pigmentation and it was normal. I'm confused with all these different layers on the retina.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Eye Care Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...