Eye Care Community
pseudo hole surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

pseudo hole surgery

I have seen a few answers to my question.  I recently had cataract surgery and was then told I have a pseudo
hole in the macula.  Not knowing too much about this problem the specialist asked me if I wanted surgery. I
don't have a bad time seeing but since I am 80 years of age I do not know if I would want surgery at this time.
He also said I have a cholesterol ring in my eye and that it could break up and cause a mini stroke.  I think
he is an alarmist and never really explains too much. I worked for a neurosurgeon for 25 years so I am
knowledgeable in the medical field but not in ophthalmology.. I am thinking of getting a second opinion.  When I
told him my eye was tearing he said "I don't do tearing".  That kind of clinched it for me. But I am concerned as to
whether this pseudo hole will get worse and invade my vision.  This retina specialist is not the same one that
operated on my cataract.  I guess I have two questions. Do I need surgery for the pseudo hole and will the
cholesterol ring cause a problem.
Most pseudoholes doe not need surgery.  The pseudohole is caused by a macular pucker and if the vision is diminished consider surgery.  Cholesterol ring breaking up and causing a stroke is BS.

Dr. O.
I want to thank you for answering my questions and also telling me in plain
English.  I wish all doctors acted the same.  Thanks again.
My doctor is now claiming that I might need membrane peel surgery.  Is this a common
surgical procedure on the eye?  After cataract surgery I still have a black spot and
although it might be a little worse than it was I can still get by with it.  He also claims
that the cholesterol ring I had in the eye is now gone. He also told me that I had an
irregular heartbeat and sent me for about six different cardiologist tests which all turned
out without a problem.  When I saw him the other day he said my heartbeat was now
normal.  Do you think it is time that I should get a second opinion?  He is not the easiest
doctor to talk to as when I saw him awhile back he said I would need pseudo hole
surgery now he is claiming I need the membrane peel. I am confused.
I am sorry for the error.  My comment above was directed to you.