Eye Care Community
pvd

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

pvd

1) how long will flashing continue i had my pvd in dec and its feb now

2)have black floaters in left eye i had pvd in two circles and some stick like black lines will they go away at all

3)can i go back to work after pvd i do a lifting job

4)should i avoid any food
I have had PVD for a month..
Mine is still flashing at one certain spot all the time.
My vision is mostly blurred but can be cleared when I need (only 5 seconds)
you must have your retina checked.
You can do most of the activities, but remember not to  shake your head or move it quickly.  
These are the key information I have learned after my PVD.
Good luck (to me and you)

1. Varies flashes stop within 2-6 weeks for most people. There are exceptions that continue.
2. Sometimes they drop to the bottom of eye and are no longer visible. Most people learn to ignore them and tune out (neuroadaptation).
3. Only your Eye MD can tell you.
4. Eat what you want but stick to healthy foods.
JCH MD
Hi,  I am having the same concern as you.   I began my pvd the week before Christmas.  I went to my eye m.d.  when it began and was told there were no tears,  etc.  I went back after that for a follow up at 4 weeks.   I was told the same thing.   Everything looked fine but with the flashing there was still traction on the retina.   I was then told I did not need to return unless I had the shower of floaters or an increase in the flashes.  
Now 2 months later I am still noticing the flashes when I turn my eye quickly  if I'm in a darkened room, outside at night ,   etc.  The flashing is no worse, but still remains.   I also have what looks like a complete circle that is as thin as a hair.  It is not black,  but looks like a transparent gray,  if that makes any sense.   It encircles my vision  and I only notice it when I look against a light background. As I move my eye it too follows the way my eye moves.   It does not bother me at all,  but what is it?  Is it the Weiss Ring?  And if so,  will this too eventually go away or as it is said,  rest at the bottom of my vision?    I did read on a very informative eye site that said a pvd can sometimes take 6 months to resolve.  
If Dr. Hagan notices this post,  I'd appreciate his thoughts,  and sue,  could you relate your pvd experience to mine and let me know if your's is similar ?  
Thanks,
Jess
Flashes that occur at night or in the dark with rapid head or eye movement is common even in people without PVD and do not mean the same thing as lightening flashes without movement or during the day.

With two normal Eye MD exams most cases are told as you were return in 6-12 months unless the flashes or floaters get a lot worse or there is loss of visual field.

Yes you probably are seeing a Weiss Ring. Use Google IMAGES and tyhpe Weiss Ring in to see what they look like.

Can't say whther the ring will go away or not. Most do with time.

JCH MD
Dear Dr. Hagan,

I cannot tell you how reassuring your post  to me is.  I had no idea that flashes without movement of my eyes or head posture were completely different versus flashes that would occur with say,  just sitting still.   Mine have always been the result of moving my eyes quite a bit,  or even my head.   I say this because ,  although I stated in my post that this began right  before Christmas,  I most definitely recall having those night time flashes beginning in the summer of 09.   I first noticed those one evening  while getting into bed .    Completely scared me to bits. I had been moving my head around quite a bit to get my pillow,  "just right" and suddenly saw what seemed like tiny starbursts.    .  I have never had major floaters with it.  I have always had for about 6 years,  a transparent cobweb like shape that floats merrily around my vision in that eye,  but never anything worse.  

With the Dec incident,  I had been leaning over cleaning and when I came upright,  I had lots of flashes,  and irregularly shaped floaters that looked like tiny boxes floating in the outside vision of that eye.  It all lasted about a minute, if that..   Those dark shapes have never returned,  and I've just been left with that funky circle shape and the nighttime flashing that only happens with lots of head  or eye movement.  .  My eyesight has remained fine.  Need I say I am 55,  female.  I guess  (hope) it's all a part of aging.......

Thank you once again,  your replies are always so helpful to people.   I will go google Weiss Ring now and see what I can learn.  
Jess
hi just wondered how you were doing now are things any better with your eyes , i have it in my other eye now as well