removing scar tissue from the eye
I have been diagnosed with diabetic reinopathy and they said the only way to remove the scar tissue is to pick at  it with scissors fro up to three hours come on.... this is 2009 tell me there are other alternatives.
Whoever "they" are, don't let them touch your eye!!!  (Are you really saying that an ophthalmologist told you this?)  Go see the best retinal specialist in your area.  The removal of scar tissue is generally a painless outpatient procedure done following a vitrectomy, both of which take about 30 minutes in total.  I believe that special forceps are used, and the tissue generally comes off in one piece.
A total of three hours spent in the OR is a bit long for a PPV and peel but not uncommon for such a procedure, you have to take into account the prep time and there may be complications during surgery. Also, it depends on how much scar tissue is to be removed. Diamond coated forceps are used to actually remove the membrane.
I suggest getting another opinion from a vitreo-retinal specialist!!!
This is 2009 and those are options that were not available 10 years ago when the scars on the eye would contract causing a traction retinal detachment and making the eye totally blind.

If you are under the care of a retinal-vitreous Eye MD that is probably what you need. You can always get a second opinion. Remember that diabetes is still one of the leading causes of blindness in the USA and the rest of the world.

JCH MD