Eye Care Community
two white "pimples" in eye

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

two white "pimples" in eye

I have two tender, very small white bumps in the corner of my eye (on the pink part inside of my eye, not on the lid).  I went to the doctor on Monday and she said there was no infection but maybe I'd done something to irritate my eye during sleep.  She prescribed eyedrops (Tobradex) which has done nothing in the three days I've been on it.  Any ideas as to what these bumps might be?  Would hot compresses bring relief?
Some how I suspect the "doctor" you saw was not a physician MD ophthalmologist. That pink stuff at the inner corner is called the caruncle.

My suggestion is to see a real Eye Physician. Tobradex is a combination antibiotic and steroid/cortisone.

You can find an Eye MD near you at www.aao.org

JCH III MD
Thank you!!  I found one nearby.  Any initial thoughts or ideas as to what it may be?
Well let us know what the Eye MD says. I doubt it will be serious. Possibilities include cysts of different types, plugged oil glands, non-malignant tumors. Very occassionally people see the opening of their lower tear duct and think its a cyst.

JCH III MD
I tried the Eye MD and believe it or not, he said he couldn't see anything!  Not one thing.  I would have felt better had he said that it was a common thing that happens as you age, no big deal don't worry about it - but he said he didn't see it!!!!!  I have posted a picture of my eye and the bumps here:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/tinavega/2101898580/

Obviously, I am extremely frustrated and concerned that if it is something icky, it's not being taken care of.  Any recommendations at this point?  Perhaps another doctor?  Please help!!!!!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hey those are great pictures with excellent resolution. That "thing" in the corner of your eye is called the "caruncle" and is a vestigial third eyelid (like some animals have or also a nictitating membrane). Those white things are common and generally represent little "chunks" of the caruncle that have moved under the conjunctiva.

At this point I don't think its worth seeing another Eye MD. I believe the reason the one you saw said he didn't see anything is they're so common.  It would be very unlikely for these to grow or create a problem. As long as the size and appearance don't change I would not worry about it.

Again great pictures and putting the pointer in their really helped.

Sum it up "no sweat".

JCH III MD
Thank you!!
One other note look at the lower end of the arrowhead away from the point. It overlies the caruncle. See how it has a cottage cheese appearance or perhaps like broccoli? Imagine taking two of those and moving them down to the tip of the arrow. That's what you are seeing.

JCH III MD
Hi All,

Sorry to be here so late, but this is when I seem to be developing similar issue. You did mention that the cottage cheesy appearance "under" the arrow. I just wanted to know if that is how the normal or non-serious (bacterial infection not viral) curancle would look like.

I really appreciate for you coming back to an old post.

As for the original person who posted this, How are doing now?

Regards,