Eye Care Community
why is the dominant eye chosen for distance in surgery?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

hello

there are eye surgeries that fully correct the dominant eye and under correct the non-dominant eye, in order for the dominant eye to be used mostly for far distance and the non-dominant eye to be used mostly for close distance.

my question is why is the dominant eye chosen for that and not the non-dominant eye?
why isn't usually the non-dominant eye under corrected to be used for far distance?
Because is has been proven repeatedly in experiments that the brain chooses it that way in most people: dominate for distance, non-dominant  for reading and near.

JCH MD
I just have diagnosis with Keratone in other state, and we are looking for an specialist near kissimmee.
I had my results already .

Can you recomend one colege.
I just have diagnositicate with Keratocone, in other state, and we are looking for an specialist near kissimmee who can do the special contact lens
I had my results already .

Can you recomend one colege.
I'm sure you mean kerataconus. You cannot go wrong with Bascom Palmer Eye Insitute of Miami University.

JCH MD