Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
3rd cycle did not work

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

3rd cycle did not work

My name is Christina Jacobs and I'm 31 years old. My husband and I have been trying to conceive over a year now. I went through my 3rd cycle of IUI. Unfortunately, yesterday I got my period so indicated it did not work. It crushed really crushed my world apart.

So, this morning went in to see my doctor and she relayed to me that injections she had been prescribing were high dosage already and it is not working anymore. She said I will not be a good candidate for IVF either. Well, there goes my other opinion, down the drain. :( She did say that another better way and effective way is an egg donor. I do not know much info about it. My husband would like for us to get a second opinion about our situation.

Does anyone went through egg donor to get pregnant? If so, please provide me your experience and your feelings. I am emotionally heart broken and physically exhausted. I am so desperate to have a family of my own.

I truly appreciate it.

Sincerely,
Christina Jacobs
Tags: egg donor
I don't understand why you would not be a candidate for ivf if you just went through the IUI process. I would definately get a second opinion and find out all your options. Good luck on your journey.
Hey christina - its way too early to think of donor eggs, you may choose a different doctor this time, and different meds and different protocol might make your IUI work, as you are only 31, you are way way too young, so please cheer up, there are doors wide open with plenty of options yet, so hon, please cheer up and don't feel that low, if at all next doc cant get success, that is when IVF is an option and only after 3 or 4 IVFs fail, people go for donor, your doctor doesn't seem too knowledgable to me.

Good luck.
I have an appointment with another doctor at the RMANJ in one week. I am hoping a second opinion will give us some hope on our desperate measure of having a baby. I remember seeing small follicles when my previous doctor had done the ultrasound. I am not a doctor but she could of at least let us know before we had done the third IUI.

Thanks for making me smile. :)
Thanks, Jen:) Does not make any sense right now either. I am going for a second opinion to a different doctor soon at RMANJ. I am hoping we ahve more success there. I hope our consultation will do well and I hope she can explain and answer all of questions of "why". This place is suppose to be a really good place and the success rate is real good. Our friends had done it there and she's giving birth end of July this year with twins. I am hoping they will be able to help me out too. :)
I would get the second opinion!!! i had 5 iui's 2 worked. i am glad u chose a different doctor. different meds and different protocol might make your IUI work or even ivf. i responded differently to gonal f verses the folisstim meds. also i would be curious as to the size of your follicles and the dosage u were on.  Have them fax your records to this new RE before u get there.
I agree.. you are still very young but we don't know your fsh, amh levels so I don't have the full picture as she does.  But definitely odd of her to tell you that, as there are lots of different protocols in IVF depending on your diagnosis.  Definitely get a 2nd and 3rd opinion at a clinic with high success rates.  Usually donor egg talks are given by REs after 3 failed IVFs and as you get older.  I had 6 failed IUIs, never getting more than 2 follies yet got 22 eggs on my 1st IVF at 36, resulting in my DD!