Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
50mg Clomid and no ovulation! Now what?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

50mg Clomid and no ovulation! Now what?

I am currently on CD 24 after taking Provera to start my period.  I took 50mg Clomid day CD 3-7 and on CD 21 had blood drawn to test my progesterone.  The results came back stating no ovulation.  My Dr. wants to up the dose to 100mg but I am feeling discouraged because many of the people on this sight had said that 50mg worked fine for them. I was just wondering if anyone else did not ovulate on 50mg, then when the dose was increased it worked. I am hoping for some encouraging stories so if you have some that would be great.  Thanks for any input.
Don't be discouraged. Lots of women have better luck with the increased dosage. In fact, if it were me, I would be glad that my doc wants to bump it up after one round. Do you know what your progesterone level was on 50mg?
All he told me was 0.6 or something like that.  As soon as he said I did not ovulate, my attention was lost.  He told me not to be too worried, but it is hard not to be, especially when people keep saying their prosgesterone was 10+ when they ovulated. If I heard him correctly than I am way off.  Thanks for your comment and I guess I will just keep my fingers crossed for next time.
I was on Clomid 50mg for the first month and also did not ovulate.. I was upped to 100 mg the second and third month.. and i became pregnant on the third try.  (ended in M/C) So dont be discouraged.  Give it a shot.
gals did u get period that month when u did not ovulate.
I mean is it possible that if we are on clomid and do not ovulate and still getting af on time ?
did you eventually concieve (conceive) without m/c or are you still trying with clomid? thanks to all who posted comments... so much appreciated
Yes, I am hit or miss on ovulation- some cycles I do, and some I don't. But AF always shows up on time, either way.
Yes, i still did get my period "around" the time i was supposed to.  it is very possible to still get your period because your uterine still lines with blood.. Good luck and I hope that the 100 mg works.  

Now, I will tell you that I know some women who didnt have any success with the clomid.. but went on to different drugs and had some results.. so keep your head up.. you just have to find what is right for you.
Hello Keeks and everyone else ,

i also got the news today that 50 mg of clomid didnt work for me ... i am so disappointed ...
well the doc was not in office today and her assistant had called ... she probably will give me a higher dose but i am going to ask to meet up with the doc and ask few questions bec i take the next higher dose ...

I have pcos and havnt had a period in over 9 months so Just finished taking provera and waiting for Af so I can start clomid. Doc has put me straight on 100mg!! He just by passed the 50mg. He keeps drilling in my head the high chances of twins lol...

Can I just ask.... for those of you who have taken provera to start periods, what dosage were you on and for how many days? Bc the Doc put me on 3 tablets (10mg each) a day for 3 days!! I thought you were supposed to take 1 tablet (10mg) a day for 10 days and then get a period between 5-10 days later? Maybe my doc is just trying to get a move on things???
I am new to this forum, but i did get lot of energy reading encouraging answers. 50 mg clomid did not work even for me, But the worst is i dint even get my period. I missed my cycle and i am not pregnant too. My doctor says i need to go for an infertility program. i am worried. Can anyone go thru this. Did anyone miss the period even after taking 50 mg clomid without being pregnant. Is infertility program only go? My doctor did not talk about increasing the dose too for me. Is she right?? Should she not try with increased dosage??Please help
I started the clomid last month also and today makes 41 days that I havent got my period.  According to the Doc when they did my progesterone level on day 21, it was only 1.95 which meant I didnt ovulate.  I think that we will be taking a test on Saturday just to make sure that I didnt ovulat late and are preg now.  Since this is my 1st time on the clomid at 50mg, I wont be discouraged since many women dont get preg on the 1st dose, but I will be happy if I am
Just also received the news that I did not ovulate after 50mg on clomid days 5-9. Of course very disappointed but trying to keep a positive attitude. I am just concerned that I am not getting enough follow up  from my dr. I was given provera to induce my period, then started clomid on days 5-9 then had progesterone test on day 21. But I have been reading others who have had utlrasounds etc. Is there something more I should be doing? The dr. did suggest that I bump my dosage up to 100mg. but I want to make sure I am getting all the care I should be!
Are you opk?  If so keep on.  My doctor was doing my progesterone on day 21 and was telling me that I was not ov but I was it just was later.  I found it out myself.  My taking the opks than I told him.  He started doing my progesterone seven days after I got my lh surge.  I also was on 50 went all the way up to 150 he still said I was not ov.  

So get you some opks if you don't have them and test until it turns pos.
i too started 50 mg of clomid days 3-7, had a progesterone level at day 21 and got a result of 3. they then said to increase clomid to 100mg, i went home and cried most of the night, didnt feel i got much support from the doctors, they said to begin the more aggressive ivf after 1 round. i was really dissapointed with this, and believe from what i have read that this is not unusual. so i am going to go with my heart and give myself a chance without all the intrusive stuff.
ssf416: Are you seeing a regular doctor (or OBGYN)? It seems like when you get clomid from a regular doctor or OBGYN, they don't do much monitoring, while REs do. REs will usually do an ultrasound on CD3 to check for possible cysts and also to check your antral follicle count (resting follicles), then they will check again before ovulation to make sure you have a maturing follicle (or more that one). As for the dosage, I think bumping it up to 100mg is a good idea. many women need a higher dose than the 50mg to ovulate. Good luck!

anxiousfemale: I think moving to IVF after one failed clomid cycle sounds a bit hasty. I used to go to a different RE and she too was very eager to move to IVF, so I switched to a different RE and I like him a lot better! I might still have to move to IVF, but I'll at least try a few other options before taking that route. So I agree with you...especially since you didn't even ovulate on the first try! Try a higher dose, and even ask for injectables down the line if clomid doesn't work for you. Doing IUIs can also increase your chances and is a lot less expensive than IVF. Best of luck!
hi im on the second try they just bump me to 100mg hopefully its work cause if not im gonna be sad
I found out today that I didn't ovulate on 50mg on the first try. So now if AF doesn't show up in a week I have to take a course of Provera again and then bump up the Clomid dosage to 100mg.

Good luck to all of you out there in the same boat as me.

~*~* Baby Dust to you All *~*~
I went to the doc today after taking clomid 50mg, and it's my day 12 of my cycle and the doc found nothing this is really hard to take in when your trying so hard to get the one thing in the world that really matters. My doc put me on a higher dose i will be talking 100 mg...four days from now i will be talking prometrium this is a natural hormone that helps women come on there period. and then i will start the 5-9 cycles days of clomid 100 mg  for the 2nd time higher dose so please wish me luck and so much luck to all the women trying to have a pride and joy of there own...
So nice to know I'm not alone. Hubby doesn't quite get how gutted I am that I didn't ovulate after 50mg. I would just like to know I'm in with a shot at getting pregnant! Although there seems to be huge variation between how we're being treated I took Clomid days 2-6 after taking 3 tablets of provera for 5 days to induce period then scans on day 10 to check single follicle developing then day 18 to check if ovulated plus progesterone blood tests on day 18 and day 21. Not spoken to Doc yet as I work at hospital so checked results today. Now am worried won't get period and will have to wait again.
same as hcomet, I took 50 mg clomid from day 2 to 6 last month and did a day 21 blood test. Doc told me that i'm still NOT ovulating...it's very disappointing and upset. Though my hubby didn't put any pressure on me, but i always believe that a woman becomes a true woman only after giving birth to a child. I'm currently on a 100mg dosage, and flying to Istanbul tonight. Wish me good luck and wish everyone who wants to be a true woman here best luck too!!!
Im so upset!! I tried clomid 50mg days 3-7 and tried for 3months without ovulation. My doc just uped my dose to 100mg days 3-7. This is frustrating. It makes me so mad how all these teens and young kids get pregnant so easily and then there is women like us who cant. My Doc wants us to try IUI if I ovulate on 100mg this time. Fingers crossed!!!
Baby Dust To All ;)
I'm so happy I found this forum!  I've been taking privera for about a year and a half in order to get my period, but now my husband and I are ready for baby #1...we couldn't be more ready!  My doctor prescribed clomid and I, too, have been given orders to take privera for 10 days, then when my period comes, consider that "day 1".  On days 3-7 I take clomid, then I start my ovulation kit on day 8.  It's day 29 and I still haven't gotten a positive result on my ovulation tests.  I'm getting quite discouraged, but thanks to all of your comments, it's given me hope!  My doctor has not given me a blood test on day 21, so maybe the next time I see her I will ask about that.  Thanks ladies!
Im really glad I found this site.. I have one kid who is 9 and my husband and I cant seem to get prego. We started clomid 50 mg this month, and didnt ovulate on this dose. I just sat here and cried. So we we have to up the dose and im afraid this will be worse than the 1st.. vomiting and crazy mood swings.. Its so frustrating when all these kids are having kids and the ones who really want them, are sometimes deprived..
It's really re-assuring to see that it's not as uncommon as I thought to not ovulate on the first-round of clomid. The universe decided to play an evil trick on me yesterday and gave me a positive opk. I was so excited and went for an ultrasound this morning (brought my husband along bc if O was confirmed we were going to do IUI today), only for the doctor to tell me I had no sign of ovulating. I spent the better portion of my day crying and feeling defeated. I now have to wait another week and go back for another ultrasound. If nothing, I guess move on to round 2? Not sure if my doc is going to up my dose. I just don't understand and wonder why 1) I have pcos when I'm actually considered underweight and my levels are fine-but cysts on both ovaries and 2) could being on BC for 7 years have screwed up my body and be the cause?
I'm glad I found this site as well, I haven't ever had regular periods and now that my husband and I are trying for our first child, it's become very hard. I started taking clomid (50mg) and did the ovulation tests and no positive results, we are trying so hard to get pregnant, and it makes for a very stressful time, I pray that everyone has luck and please pray for us as well, hoping that the doctor moves up the dosage of Clomid for me, and then help with maybe having a period and then, Baby comes not to long afterward! :)
Even I am trying for the first kid.I have very irregular periods.I am thinking to try for these 2 months and consult doctor in January.I know that I don't ovulate regularly.This month I bought clear blue fertility monitor to predict ovulation.has to use it next month onwards once my periods start.can i take 50 mg clomid and look for ovulation and and try for kids.Is it ok to try 50 mg clomid tablets without prescription.
what will doctors tests me and do for me regarding this when I consult them.
I am Indian.I am new to this medical insurances and services.
Please help  suggest me

The Clearblue monitor doesn't work with clomid. At least it didn't for me. It just showed high fertility and never a peak day. You should just use OPKs so you don't miss your peak like I did last cycle.
hi ive been diagnosed with pcso and am not ovulating i have had my first round of clomid and didnt ov but docs want me to do 2 more months on 50mg but i thought if you dont ov on 50 they have to up the dose to 100mg?
Hi am esha, my Dr. had prescribed me with clomid 100mg on 2-6 days,no results after 2cycle of clomid now am on my 3rd and today on the 12th day of my period am testing for ovulation, but i saw only one bar on the ovulation test..am very discouraged & depressed with that..please help me..i really wanna have a baby..
hi, i was also diagnosed with pcos on both of my ovaries last month and I have irregular periods.  My OB prescribed me to take 50mg of ova mit and continue taking metformin, folart and energin.  I was hoping I could get pregnant unfortunately I am having my period now.  The good thing though is my menstruation is on a regular day cycle.  I have to increase dosage intake of ova mit to 100mg daily.  I pray hard I could get pregnant on my 2nd cycle of taking ova mit.  Goodluck to all of us =)
hi, i am on second cycle of clomid, on the first cycle of clomid 50mg i ovulated but this cycle i didn't so my dr. told me that she would increase the dosage to 100mg. today is my cd22. last month i only got spotting and did not take any provera and instead she carried on with the clomid cycle. since i have done a lot of research, my advice is to get preseed, a lube sperm friendly which may help you to get preggoo and semenax for your hubby to increase the quantity and quality of sperms. lots of wishes for you and baby dust!
Hi Esha, I wasn't ovulate too when I took 50mg clomid. Now doctor dose mine up to 100mg and she also gave me metformin that I have to take 3 times a day, the chances are higher with those two. I hope this is my month. Good luck to you Esha and to all of you who's ttc. :)
hi, even my dr. will prescribe me metformin along with clomid next cycle as this cycle has not ended yet. i hope my periods arrives soon so i can start working on the next. the whole process is so freaking frustrating and over whelming and the disappointment that comes with a negative result is hard to deal with. m just soo tired and wanna give up now. i hope next month is my month or else im done.
hi, i am new here. i was thinking that why it happen to me that i cant have a baby! i also had clomid 50mg but nothing happen. i had my period today itself. i was thinking about take clomig 100mg now. have to talk with my doc today hope it will happen this time.
I'm new to clomid also and was very discouraged when I took my first cycle of 50 mg clomid last month and was close but didn't ovulate. I already have a 4 year old daughter and my husband and I have been ttc on our own for two years and nothing. Which was so devastating. Crying many nights because at the time I didn't know I wasn't ovulating. Will be starting my second cycle of 50 mg this week depending on my period. Prayers for you all and def could use some prayers for our family as well!
I too have taken clomid 50mg. My progesterone came back at .6.. I was very devastated and took 2 months off. I just finished 7 days of provera and will be starting clomid 100mg on days 5-9. I am so hopeful that it will work this time. God please help all of us! Baby dust to everyone! Keep your heads up and don't ever give up!! It will happen! :)
Hi traceface88, I m new to this formu and i was happy to find women with the same problems as me. I have been ttc for the past 2.5 years without any success. I was given clomid last mouth and i just got a call from mu dr office saying that i did not work for me. I think she ll be uping the dosage but still don;t know. we will see. baby dust to yall
I also took provera last month to induce my period. I took climid 100mg but did not ovulate. By the way, if someone has PCOS those ovulation predictor kit won't work....a lot of PCOS women will get a constant positive, or absolute negative the whole time. So forget about those, and instead buy the ovulation saliva microscope (which most women say works the best) (on Amazon for $25) trust me I did a lot of research and used those ovulation predictor kit every day....strips showed that I ovulate every day, and the First response showed me that I did not ovulate at all....I checked with 3 different ovulation tests every day.
My doctor now told me to take Provera again this month, followed by Clomid $150mg.......both 50mg and 100mg did not work for me. My first child was a Clomid baby, and conceived on 50mg. Now we're trying for our second one...and really hope this will work.
My only question is, when should I take Provera again? today is my 30 day of my cycle.....should I wait and see if my period comes on its own? or should I start Provera now? what if I'm pregnant and its too early for preg test to show that I'm pregnant?I heard Provera causes birth defects if taken while pregnant......so what should I do? Please someone help! Thanks
ladys Im also on clomid 50mg CD4-CD8 currently on CD 30 and no ovulation or period yet. My regular cycle is about 70+ days i want to go up to 100mg but i really dont want to wait long for my period. What should i do?