Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Adhesions

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Adhesions

I am 38 my husband is 40. We have been TTC for over 3 years. Did HSCG last month which showed adhesions. Got antibiotics. Now my doc is recommended laparoscopy. I am on my fourth month of clomid. Do you yhink I should continue trying for a couple of months before doing the lap. My husband thinks so,.
As a treatment option, you can go in for laparoscopic surgery which can open blocked tubes or remove scar tissue that is causing problems. But this depends on the age of the patient, severity and cause of blockage. If just a few adhesions are between the tubes and ovaries, then your chances of getting pregnant after surgery are good.

But if multiple adhesions and scaring are between your tubes and ovaries, or if you have been diagnosed with hydrosalpinx, then you may need IVF.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

I have severe adhesions but no blocked tubes. However note that like the doctor said, some surgeries can help with the conception but all surgeries cause more adhesions (even c-sections). It's the body's way of repairing "injury".

My adhesions were causing a lot of pain and I asked both my RE and GYN. They both agreed that if I wanted to have a second child, I should try IVF or other methods prior to having surgery because surgery cannot guarantee retention of fertility.

Good luck. get multiple opinions.