Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Anybody have IVF embryos split into identical twins?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Hi-- Just wondering if anyone has actually experienced *identical* twins from an ET or FET.  RE is encouraging us to transfer two  5-day frozen blasts and I'm just thinking "What if the two turn into three!  .. or even four!"  My luck neither will survive the thaw but I'm not obsessing about that yet.
Tags: IVF, twins, fet
The octuplet mom had 6 embryos transferred, so 2 of hers split.  I'm sure there are many more, too.

We thawed 6, only 2 made it to transfer.  Good luck!!
I did. Transfered 2 embryos and 1 split. I was pregnant with 3 at first but miscarried the split embyos. I was 45 at time of transfer and they still chose to only transfer 2-thank goodness.
Not me personally but saw it on TV the lady needed IVF i forgot how many they implanted but only 2 took and BOTH of them split so they wound up with 2 sets of identical twins!!!
Ladies, thank you!  My RE actually had a patient who had 2 embryos put in and both split too.  

We converted my December Follistim + IUI cycle to IVF to avoid the almost inevitable need to do a fetal reduction-- I think the absolute worst case scenario for me now would be to have gone through the whole IVF process and still end up in a situation where I have a high-order of multiples... although another BFN would be equally devastating!
hi so r u planing to go 4 ivf???when u gonna do???iam going for my 2nd ivf in april with 2 frozen embys,day 5 balstocyst.i did my 1st fresh ivf in jan2009,result came negative so this time RE want to trasnfer 2.about spliting its very rare so dont worry.so goodluck to u.
Hi Lynda, I am new to the site..i'm 39years old, i was just reading that you had 2 embryo's transferred and one split into 2.  I was wondering whether this was with a fresh cycle of ivf or did you use frozen embryo's?  I did my first ivf cycle in jan with 3 embryo's day 2 grade 4 out of 5 (5 being the best)  we put back 3 embryo's..

I just did my 2nd ivf cycle - well actually we just transferred remaining frozen 2 day embryo's, my dr put back all 3.  The dr says all three survived the thawing process well and 2 of them even divided further into 8 cells in the thawing process, the other one was still a 4 cell but i was told not to worry about that one because it could just be slower then the others...

It's been a long journey for me, i'll be happy to get one even twins.. i guess i had not worried about the possibility of multiples due to my age but saw that you were around my age and wondering if i made the right choice putting back three?

goodluck to u,lots & lots of stiicky vibes,& baby dust.u did 2nd ivf fresh or frozen???so when is ur hcg blood work.iam going to do my 2nd ivf in april FET,natural cycle.currently iam doing acu,but as i said  in other foram my accu is not specilist for infertility but she said she does acu for infertility.she only concentrate on my abdomen area,ovary ,ankel,toe,& wrist she never did on my back or ear.she use heat & electro acu.i dont even know is it safe or not she says it is.
goodluck to u.takecare.drink lots of fluid.
Yes - we did 2 frozen.  One Split so we are pregnant with 3.  We are 12 weeks and the DR is worried the identical split because they have chromosomal problems.  
I went through IVF 4 cycles (8 fresh and frozen). I was pregnant each time but lost the first 3 babies. In the 4th cycle I became pregnant with 2 babies and lost one 5 weeks into the cycle-- happily that boy turned 21 yesterday. 2.5 years later I used my 2 frozen embryos. One did not make it and the other one became identical twins. They were worried they were "siamese". At 12 weeks I lost one twin and developed blood serum sickness. My younger son is now 18 and is a freshman in college. He used his story for his Common Ap college essay. Ladies your troubles will eventually be in the past soon.