Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Blocked tube

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Blocked tube

Hi. I am a 37 year-old mother of a 3 year old (got pregnant on 1st try). I had an ectopic pregnancy about 1 year later and although my tube was "saved", a HSG later revealed that the tube is now blocked. My left one is permeable and seems fine. We have been trying to conceive naturally for over 1 year since the ectopic and have recently failed with IVF. I am currently on my first month of Clomid (100mg) although I have never had any ovulation issues, always been regular and normal periods.

My questions are:

1- This is my 1st round of Clomid and I am taking 100mg. Shouldn't I start with a 50mg dose for the first month or two?

2- Is " follistim" something I should consider if Clomid fails?

3- Can Clomid damage my linning as some web sites seem to suggest?

4- What do you think of combining Clomid with Robitussin (Guaifenesin)?

Thank you for your help... I hope you can clarify this stuff because the information found on the web is often confusing and down-right contradictory! I'm lost! Please help me become a mother again!

Ann
Hi Isabelle!

I don't know much about follistim, but I'll try to answer some of your other questions.

1. Most women do start on 50 mg., but since you have one blocked tube, maybe your doctor is trying to stimulate more eggs to develop, so you get at least a couple of good ones on the side that is not blocked. That's a total guess, though...

3. Clomid can thin the lining, which can be an issue when it comes to a possible implantation; but it doesn't happen to all women, and your doctor will probably monitor your lining to make sure everything looks good.

4. Clomid can also dry up your cervical mucus and/or make it less "hospitable" to sperm. This is also a side effect that only affect some women (I think about 30%). If so, guaifinesin can help thin the mucus to make it easier for the sperm to swim through. I only used clomid once, for that exact reason. I had NO fertile cervical mucus around ovulation. In my case, though, guaifenesin didn't really make much of a difference. Preseed is another option. It's a sperm-friendly lubricant that mimics fertile cervical mucus.

Best of luck to you!
Thank you for your help. I'll look into the "pressed" you mentioned. Is it otc? I'm in Canada and things are very different here (I lived in the US for 5 years). For example, doctors DON'T monitor the follicles or lining with ultrasound when you're on Clomid. They basically give you a prescription and wish you luck. I wish I could find out how the Clomid is afecting me, and how many follies I am producing & the moment of ovulation... Oh well, I'm glad to read all of your stories because it reassures me that I am not alone... and people don't understand... I doubt that husbands understand for that matter...

thanks for reading, sorry for the ramblings...
Hi again! They do sell preseed at a few select pharmacies here in the U.S., but most women buy it online. I got mine at early-pregnancy-tests.com. Also, if you get clomid from an RE here, they'll monitor you, but they don't always do that of you just get it from your regular obgyn. I believe that's part of the reason why the normally will only let you try it for three months.

I hope it works for you!