Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Can you ovulate to the same side one month after the next ?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Because it's a while till I get my appointment with my RE I am turning to all of you clever fertility ladies for advise.

I recently saw a comment on a post on here where one person said that you don't always have to ovulate on the left and then the right side month after month, sometimes you can ovulate on the left and then the next month on the left again ?  Is this true ?

I guess I am asking because I figured having just one working tube it was going to take me twice as long to concieve (conceive) but if I could possibly ovulate on the left more than possibly the right, that would be more exciting :-)

Confused, please help.
I agree that you don't always alternate each month.  I read that somewhere and also that some women ovulate on one side much more than the other.  But the good thing is that even if you only have one good tube, say your left, and then you ovulate on the right, the other tube can still pick up the egg.  Don't ask me how but I've read it before.  

My personal belief is that your body has a way of compensating when something's wrong.  The same way that a blind person's hearing becomes stronger and vice versa.

Good luck!
It is true, you don't always "alternate" one side to the next each month. I am living proof that this doesn't happen! During my journey of TCC, I have ovulated at least 3 times in a row on my right side and not on the left.

In my year treatment, I think I may have alternated in the beginning, but in the last half of that year, it's mostly been my right side.

Generally, it is "said" that we do alternate each month, but there is NO POSITIVE THEORY on that.

Good Luck!
Absolutely true. You can "favor" an ovary, too. I think mother nature tries to pick the best quality eggs. And in some cases, can o from both sides in same cycle, usually within a day of each other.  I tend to feel it more on my left, but read somewhere that if you feel it on you left is still possible that right is o'ing, hhhmmmm.
I read that it is random.  
I agree with all I ahve ovulated from the same side twice for 2 months straght my left side which is the side I have problems with (isn't that something)
I have one ovary because I had an ovarian cyst and they removed my right one when I was 19 or 20.  Anyways, I ovulated religiously from the left every month!    So to answer your question, you can ovulate from the same ovary in consecutive months.
It is like flipping a coin.  You have a 50% chance each month that it will be on a given side.  I have ovulated the last three months on the right and I am missing the tube on that side so I need to ovulate on the left to have a better chance at conceiving.  Very frustrating!
Im happy I found this site.I have a blocked tube,where,my uterus and right tube meets.Im praying I ovulate frm my left side this month.Me and hubby have been trying for a while.