Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Clomid - anyone ever start later than instructed??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Hi everyone,
Okay, so I was confused about my cycle length since the doctor told me that clomid had a 31 day cycle and I got my period on day 23-24 (spotting started late on day 23). My appointment with him wasn't until yesterday, which I was thinking was day 28, but I guess I should have counted it as day 5...
I called the nurse today and she said yes I technically should have started two days before I saw the doctor but agreed it would have been impossible to get in to see him before then to get the prescription...
SO she said I could either start it now or wait until the next period and go from day 3. I'm not convinced I will get a period without clomid (last month was the first time in over a year and only lasted less than 3 days as it was).
SO has anyone here ever taken it later than they were supposed to?? If so, did it change anything?? Did it mess things up? Was anybody successful?
(So I had one cycle already and this is the 2nd cycle I am into now... planning on starting today but it would be day 6... don't want to mess things up!!)
I would call the doctor to make sure. but it would most likely just make you ovulate late.

I have a friend who took clomid CD 1-5 and got pregnant her girl friends did the same and got pregnant too.

I found that interesting.
hello!!! this might be a silly question but what does CD mean???? ta!!
CD= Clomid Day :)
Thanks Lori - that's encouraging. I wonder when I should go in for the progesterone test now though... :S
CD means cycle day ;-)

dylanandalicia: I would  also think taking clomid on CD 6-10 is fine, but like Lori said, it might be a good idea to just call and let your doctor know. As for your progesterone test, it should be done about 7 days after ovulation. Are you being monitored at all, or do you use OPKs or anything to pinpoint ovulation? Best of luck to you!
hello :0)
in my own experience my other doctor told me to take clomid 7 to 11 and take a progesterone test after every CD21.  When I changed doctors she said 6 to 10 is good too its just that it's what she usually tell her patients how to take clomid and so I did too and same thing happenend I ovulated and a CD21 progesterone test proved it.  

I am not sure if CD21 appllies to everyone but so far I have irregular periods but as soon as they put me on clomid they send me on blood tests after 21days of my first heavy flow.  so there 7 to 11 is the latest day I took clomid and still worked for me
Thanks so much girls! I did call the nurse and she told me it should be okay. Today will be cycle day 9 now and my third dose of clomid... the issue is that last month I was on clomid days 3-7. He said it would be a 31 day cycle and didn't elaborate, so I didn't even think about it until I went in to see him for the prescription for round 2... already on cycle day 6 when I thought I was still on the first cycle!! (duh)
So last month he thought I would ovulate around day 14... I am not using anything to determine when I ovulate so don't know how to guess at when (or around when) I should ovulate this month. I did the progesterone test at day 21 last month and will probably do it again that day this month... I guess!!?? Calling the nurse is no help... you can't speak to the doctor directly and it's difficult to even speak to her for very long. (I'm in Canada)
Hey  just wondering  do u take clomid 3 days after your period starts or stops
Day your period starts = CD1; standard protocol is to take clomid CD6-10, with ovulation expected between CD15-22.  The ob/gyn typically wants you to have blood drawn on CD 21 to see if ovulation did in fact occur (determined by progesterone level), and you should use an at-home OPK prior to that to help determine when you will ovulate so that you can time intercourse accordingly.  I hope this helps!