Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Clomid side effects -birth defects

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Clomid side effects -birth defects

hey to all the TTC community here, i was looking into clomid and wanted to know if anyone had tried it? Did it harm your baby? I am scared to take it because of recent studies that have emerged linking the use of clomid to severe birth defects in babies. After such a hard time trying to conceive I can only imagine how hard this must be for parents whose babies are born with birth defects. There is an article I found here on it..... http://www.newsinferno.com/health-concerns/clomid-birth-defect-link-investigated/  
I cannot make my mind up on the drug because of this and the potential lawsuits gathering pace against the makers of clomid. I can understand completely why people would want to sue if something so terrible happened to them on the other hand. http://www.yourlawyer.com/topics/overview/Clomid-Birth-Defect-Lawyer-Lawsuit-Attorney-Recall
I just took my first round of Clomid this month and it hasn't worked this time. I've read a little the risks and found the article interesting. One thing that caught my attention is "The exposure of interest was reported Clomid use in the period from 2 months before conception through the first month of pregnancy. Women who conceived using assisted reproductive technology were excluded." You are NOT supposed to take it once you conceive so I'm not sure why anyone would be on it the 1st month of pregnancy so I'm not sure if that clouded their study. I want to know about ONLY women who take it BEFORE they ovulate not after their pregnant. Anyway, we also have a Clomid Club here you might join: http://www.medhelp.org/forums/CLOMID-CLUB/show/921?camp=msc&personal_page_id=870598
There are a few who have had success with Clomid on the over 35 Pregnancy and over 40TTC. I've not heard of anyone having problems.
Good luck to you.
I'm sorry that it hasn't worked for you this time round and I hope that you and your partner's turn to be parents is not long around the corner. I think you'd have to speak to your physician about the finer details of the study...I am as confused as you which is why I came onto here with the question in the first place. Anyhow, don't lose hope, and if you know of anyone who may have had problems you may want to alert them to the news article and study i was talking about. I wish you all the best, thank you for suggesting the club, and for your reply. Rach.
i took clomid and at first it didnt work but at 100 mg it did and up to the first 13 weeks i thought everything was fine...then i went for blood work and found out that my child may have spina bifida and further test were done when i was advised that he had several abnormalities and may not survive..well this being my first i got a second opinion got the same answer with more abnormalities and advise clomid had nothing to do with it in the end i delivered a stillborn in 08....after reading several articles that my husband said they were doing a lawsuit i found that some of the side affects were what my son suffered.....angi
I also used clomid and found out that my baby had sever spina bifia, severly club footed and also had brain defects and more. I was told more than likely would not make it full term. we choose to be induced and delivered him still born. hardest decision ever and has changed me forever. I have a healthy 5 year old. I blame the use of the clomid. the special dr. told me it had nothing to do with what happened to my baby. I feel differently.
I would question if both the women above whose children had spina bifida were taking folic acid for at least a month prior to conceiving?  Folic Acid had been scientifically proven to reduce the risk of spina bifida....
Hi , I have a 4 year old son , and my husband an I tried to conceive again about 6 months ago and no luck , my dr then prescribed clomid, I took it and am now 6 weeks pregnant . I am under a bit of stress because I have a huge fear of my child will be born with some kind of defect or even autism, because of all the horror stories I've heard about clomid ? Does anyone know any stories or information on how true it is ?