Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Curiousity about Infertility

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Curiousity about Infertility

After becoming intimate with my boyfriend for 3 years and always paranoid if I was pregnant or not I finally started taking birth control. It just got me thinking, after 3 years being unsafe with the pullout method I never became pregnant. Is this normal or is it a possibility that I'm infertile?
Avatar dr f tn
Hi there,
It is very difficult to opine anything without knowing your complete history and details. Infertility is defined as inability to conceive after at least 1 year of trying without using any birth control method. Are your periods regular? How frequently do you have unprotected intercourse? If you have been having sex a week before and a week after your periods then your chances of conceiving are less. If your periods are irregular then it can result in ovulatory dysfunction. In that case you may need evaluation for thyroid disorders, ovulation disorders, hormonal imbalances etc.I will advise you to consult a gynecologist and clarify your doubts before planning to conceive. That will be helpful.
Best of luck!
Avatar n tn
Thanks for the advice! You're right, i should get checked out to clarify my doubts!