Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Dermoid cyst and becoming pregnant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Dermoid cyst and becoming pregnant

Hello....A couple days ago I had a 5.1 cm dermoid cyst removed from my left ovary. My periods are regular. I have been trying to get pregnant for 2 1/2 years now. Also I had a prostgene blood test done to see if I was ovulating and I wasn't. Could have the problem of me becoming pregnant been from the dermoid cyst? Thanks for any input!
HI ,I GOT LEFT OVARY REMOVED LAST 2005 DUE TO THIS THE SAME SITUATION DERMOID CYST FOUND ON MY LEFT OVARY ,I HAD A INFERTILITY SOUGHT AND THAT TIME WAS FOUND A 8.11 CM ROUND CYST,THEN I GOT SURGERY DONE ,AND SINCE THEN I AM TTC BUT UNTIL NOW ITS ALREADY BEEN 2 YRS AND HALF I DIDINT GET PREGNANT AND WERE WORKING IN IT  BY SEEING THE GYNE ,ITS KINDA HARD OF TRYING TO GET CONCIEVE (conceive) ,,I DONT LOST HOPE BUT RUN OUT EVERY PENNY ,BECAUSE WE PAID IT BY CASH OUT FROM POCKET ,WE HAVE AN INSURANCE BUT WONT COVER THIS HERE AT ALL ...WERE IN OVERSEAS RIGHT NOW ME AND MY HUSBAND ..
SOMETIMES MY HOPES UP--AND SOMETIMES HOPE DOWN BECAUSE WE TRYING SO HARD BUT STILL I DIDINT GET PREGNANT ..NVER IN MY LIFE GET PREGNANT..IM SORRY TO TELL U THIS BUT WERE THE SAME ONLY ONE OVARY LEFT ON THE RIGHT SIDE WHICH THIS THE ONLY WORK FOR GETTING PREGNANT ..IF THE OVARY HAS BEEN REMOVED THIS REDUCES THE PREGNANCY .im sorry for caps lock ,....
i hope for both us has the same problem  will get pregnant together this year ...I am taking clomid 6th cycle already and i am 30-36days cycle and sometime it takes 50 days ,so this means am iregular,since i got a surgery done ,i back into 30-36 days but before the surgery ,i had a irrgeular period...i wasnt expect that i had a cyst untill i had the U/S and found that so sad ...need to get  rid off it because its already huge ..which can bother if one day i get preggo ..
   I need to stop my Clomid this cycle July end ..because i need to take a break of taking fertility pills ..when the home test (preg test) negative makes me feel so sad ..because if 3-4 late .i get a preg test and try to see ,..but itstill negative ...YOU know how we feel on this way ...I know a lots of woman here the same of this way  TTC ...and after all they got successful ..A lots of woman here are kindhearted and they share the story .which help us a lot too ..I always thankful for them ..but made me sad when i heard some poeple sad like me ...so I dont write a story about me ,its on and off ..which made me cry when i read posters that the same as my frustration too ...
   we need to  calm down sometimes ,but u know emotionally ...always ..we are the woman .... email me at ***@****

thanks
Hello.....thank you for sharing your situation with me....hopefully you will get pregnant really soon! I wanted to ask you where in overseas are you from if you don't mind me asking?
Ironic, but I also had a dermoid removed about 5 weeks ago.  It was also on my left ovary but it was about 8.1 cm.  We have been through fertility treatments for about 2 years total.  After the first year we conceived our daughter via an iui.  This time we are still not pregnant after 7 iui's.  I had symptoms ie shorter cycle and loss of cervical mucas that I told my doctor about.  They dismissed this as a shortage in my estrogen.  That wasn't the problem.  After going to a new RE they did an MRI for another reason and discovered the cyst.  I had it removed about 2 months after that.  My RE said that a dermoid does not effect fertility, although I find it difficult to believe when it is that large.  Also, my cervical mucas has come back since the surgery.  We are pursuing an IVF cycle in the beginning of September and I am feeling a bit more confident that I will be able to get pregnant now that the dermoid is gone.  I really think that there isn't enough information out there about dermoid's the really form an opinion about it.  I know people have dermoid's and get pregnant, but I think there may be a correlation to fertility and a dermoid.  Good luck!
I find myself reading everyones response and still feeling like why does this happen again? I have a 5 year old boy who was no problem concieving at all toi the point where I had no idea I was pregnant since I only had a period every 2 months and they only last 3day and were always bearly there. Then with the feeling that I had flu smyptoms for about 2 months I took a test. A little tiny pink line, wow, just like that bam.... Then 2 years later on the same date I went into labor with my son I am in the hospital again this time I am having bilateral dermoid cysts removed and they are about 3.5-4.0...Not as big as others but they were twisting my ovaries to the point I was puking and couldn't walk. I had an awesome Dr. Who did my surgery and sh swore that this would not effect my chances of more children. Now 3 years later I find myself having the thought that I might want more and my left ovary decides to show up with a 2.0 complex cyst..lol...I suppose its becuase of how carefree I was then. Although now I am so much more healthy and mature..I just don't know what to do now...The Dr also fears this might be cancerous..What should I do?
I'm 20 years old and in May I also had to have my left ovary removed due to a dermoid cyst, it completely consumed it. I'm left with my right ovary that has yet another smaller dermoid cyst, the pain it's causing has left me no other option...if i don't get pregnant now, i never will because i will eventually have to remove my right ovary as well. My significant other and I have been trying to concieve (conceive) ever since. It's only been 9 months but I'm starting to lose hope that i'll have a child of my own. Doctors tell me I should have no problem getting pregnant since I appear to be ovulating but I would have figured after 9 months something should have happened by now. Does anyone know if fertility issues is common with dermoids? When should I start taking fertility medication? All my life i've been taught not to get pregnant, now that all this is happening I have no idea what to do. I never would've imagined that at the prime of my life I'd be worried about my fertility.
                                                                    -Arielle

Sorry to hear about your situation. I am also  going through the same issues but i am not ovulating at all. I am meeting my doctor to discuss surgery b/c i have a huge dermoid on my left ovary and a small one on my right. I would like to get pregnant before its too late. We have been trying for over two years now and nothing. I am just real scare and don't know what to do. IVF cycles are so expensive especially when i have no insurance.
I do wish you the very best and i do hope you get pregnant.
Angie :)
Hi, I'm 19 and today they found a dermoid cyst on my right ovary, I had a similar cyst there when I was 2 and a half years old, then again on my left when I was 10 in which they took a 1/4 of the left ovary, now that is has come back they may take the ovary, which will leave me with only 3/4 of the left ovary, also they believe I have poly cystic ovary syndrome which apparently doesn't affect me much because my periods are regular give or take a couple of days, I was wanting to know if there's a way to make me more fertile in the future? I never thought much of having children but now with this threat all I want is a child before it is past too late.