Disappearing Lines on HPT???
I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced disappearing Positive HPT lines, but then had a healthy pregnancy? I POAS (peed on a stick) on Christmas Eve (14 dpo) and got a positive HPT result (First Response & EPT).  The lines weren't very dark, but definitely positive results. I POAS again Christmas to affirm results and I got the same Positive results. I POAS again on Dec. 26 to see if the lines would get darker and they appeared to be fading, but it was still postive.  As such, I had a blood test (also on Dec 26) which showed my HCG level to be at 18 (on the low end of the spectrum, but still considered normal).  I couldn't get the fading HPT line ouf of my head so POAS again today and the line has totally disappeared. Its now a negative test result.  I called the doctor's office, but they told me to remain calm until tomorrow when they can do another HCG marker to see if its increasing, but I know its decreasing. Why else would my HPT test line have disappeared?
There is probably nothing I or anyone else say to make you feel better.  But I will tell you what my husband always tells me.  Don't stress about the things you can't control.  I know it is easier said then done.  With my daughter 2 years ago I kept POAS and sometimes I would see nothing, so don't worry it could be just one of those things.  Try to relax and see what happens tomorrow.  It will all work out.  Take care and keep us updated.
Thanks for replying. I'll keep you posted. I'm trying to stay calm, but the waiting game is torture. Especially for someone, like myself, who has no patience and needs to find the answer yesterday.
As a follow-up to you, when you said you had an experinece POAS when you were preg with your daugher and would see nothing, did this happen AFTER you already saw several postive HPTs?  I'm not trying to find "false hope", but I'm just curious if this is even a possibility with my scenerio.
All hope is wonderful.  I am also the same way you are.  I have zero patience and need to know answers yesterday.  At first with my daughter when I missed my period I took several HPT tests and they were all negative, then I took one at the doctors and it was positive.  After that I went on a POAS frenzy and took several for several weeks and some were positive some were negative and some had nothing at all so I was just as impatient and that's just part of human nature.  Try to relax and I am sure everyhting is going fine.  Have you miscarried before or is this your first pregnancy.  By the way my daughter was born in 2005 and in perfect health despite what those HPTs said!  Look forward to hearing back form you!
Hi Again,

I'm glad to hear your daugher was born healthy despite the negative hpts. Hearing positive stories is helpful to my psyche today. I'm trying to be hopeful, but my hope is literally hanging by a thread. I had an embryo demise and D&C in April of this year. I thought I was 11 weeks along, but the embryo stopped thriving at 6.9 weeks.  I had no signs of the demise other than some very light spotting around 11 weeks. That's also why I'm scared now that something is wrong even though I'm not spotting or feeling cramps. Since I had none of those types of "signs" the last time.  My husband and I started ttc again in July, but nothing...so I had some tests performed. This month actually...they checked my estrogen level, did an ultrasound to see if I was ovulating (I had 2 follicles) and tested my progesterone. Everything was good. And then they told me to take a hpt on Christmas Eve...and here I am today (6 positve hpts (taken in 3 days), 1 negative and one hcg level 18 blood test.  
Have you taken another HPT since the negative?
No, I took the first test earlier this morning (second urine--not first). I had a minor break down afterwards and couldn't even start my day after I saw the negative. I called the Reprod Health place. The nurse made me promise not to take another one. Then a fertility couselor called me and she also told me to stay away from them. :-(  I'm totally addicted. I feel like its the only thing that can tell me what's happening though..
PS--Good Luck with the IUI. I heard good things about IUI, 2 of my husband's friends' wives had IUI after yeasr of trying. One girl got preg 2x each time she had the procedure. Had a girl and then twins.  The other girl got preg after ttc for like 4 years. I went to a reproductive specialist a few months ago to see if I could get IUI, but they told me it wasn't possible since we've "only" been trying for 5 months after my miscarriage.
I know it is extremely difficult but it will all work out.  I can also tell you don't take anymore but if it makes you feel better then take one it's not going to change the outcome either way.  Hang in there and don't give up hope.  I have a feeling everything will turn out great.  Sometimes it just helps to talk it out or talk about something else ( I know easier said then done).  If it makes you feel better take another one.  Let me know.  
Thanks for the well wishes.  I hope it works 1st time also.  I am 35 and we tried for 6 months and at that age the RE told us 6 months was enough.  Let me know what happens with you.  i am thinking about you!
That's really interesting. If you don't mind me asking...were you told that you have unexplained infertility? Is that why they're recommending the IUI? I'm only asking b/c my doctors (both my gyne group & the reproductive specialist woman) told me several times (even today) that I'm still young (I'm also 35) and that 5 months of trying is "nothing"  because even if you're totally healthy you only have a 28% chance of getting pregnant. So they both just recommended that I take the blood and utrasound testing to check to be sure I'm ovulating, etc.. Did you do this testing? In addition, the only reason I went to the RS was to see about having the IUI (b/c I talked to my husband's friend's wive @ a wedding about it and she made it seem like a good idea b/c I was impatient). The RS made it seem like I was wasting her time b/c there was nothing wrong with me. She even referred me to a counselor b/c she seemed to think my asking to get IUI after only 5 months was totally unreasonable. She lectured me about how if I'm not patient enough to wait and get pregnant then how could I be patient enough to handle a small child. She told me that the only way she'd recommend IUI is if we physically couldn't have sex. I had a follow up with my gyne (both are very reputable doctors in my city) and she told me to calm down about the "bad experience" with the RS and stop making an issue out of something that isn't b/c I'm still "young"...  
Wow, that RS needs to learn some bedside manner.  I am in the dental field and never disregard someones concern no matter what it is.  I have read on several sites that after 35 you should try for 6 months and then seek out a fertility specialist.  I also go to an OBGYN that is pretty well known in the Atlanta area and after 4 rounds of Clomid he referred me to the RE.  I was not ovulating on my own.  The first time we sa the RE was for a consult only and we sat and talked.  She then had me do several tests including ultrasound during my cycle, HSG to make fure tubes were good, blood work for alot of different things and then my husband had to have a sperm analysis.  Once all those tests came back we had another consult and she said all was fine, she did not find a problem except for not ovulating every month.  So she said the first go around she would like for me to do Clomid, incjectibles and either timed intercourse or IUI, we decided on IUI because it wasn't that much more $.  She said that at age 35 even though you are definitely not old your chances lessen and she treats alot of couples at this age and that they normally recommend that at age 35 yoy try for 6 months and then seek help.  Let me know if you need anything else.  I don't mind sharing advice if it will help you in any way.  Let me know!
As someone who started TTC at 35 and am now 40 & in that time had 3 m/c I recommend looking for another Dr I wasted too much time listening to a Dr tell me to 'be patient' and 'these things happen'.  I have changed Drs and have had many tests done & would recommend doing the same.  Most Drs (RE & OBGYN) should know we are in a fragile state and need to be treated as such!
The other thing I was going to say is that if you Google "when should I see a Fertility specialist" it will tell you on the first link that typically after 6 months of trying at the age of 35 you should see an RE.  Just FYI!
OK, so I see the difference now b/t my situation and yours. I guess b/c I'm ovulating that's why I got the third degree. Although she didn't know that for sure at the time. I'm starting to worry about my age. Its in the back of my mind. I'll be 36 in January.  Maybe now I'll have to have the HSG. Who knows. My next step was to have my husband tested--if I wouldn't have had a pos result this month. He did take a home sperm test that he ordered via the internet. That turned out OK. The RS was also kind of condesending about that too. She basically told me that I know too much info and that she never heard of a man testing his sperm via a home test. Oh well... whatever. That's the least of my worries, but wow, is right. I was totally blown away by her treatment towards me.  So was my husband, who was in the room too. Especially b/c of the field she is in, but I guess she is immune to emotions like mine at this point. That's why I did the follow-up with my regular Gyne (who is reported as my city's (Pittsburgh's) best doctor). I wanted to tell my doc how poorly the RS her office recommended treated me.  However, I was taken by surprise when my doctor told me to "get over it" b/c this RS is the best in the city and so what if she's not warm and fuzzy. She then said that any questions re: fertility she will defer to her and I should just stick with her.  My doc had already ran the thyroid, etc.. blood tests, but she told me to just do the u/s with the RS to see if I'm ovulating when I thought I was. So that's why I went back to the mean RS. As a footnote, I was using the ClearBlue Easy Fertility Monitor and it stopped working a few months ago. I returned it and they sent me a new one. There was something wrong with the circuit board. My husband thinks that's why I didn't get pregnant right away after we started to ttc.

BTW..I took another hpt--Negative.
Well lets see what happens at the Docs tomorrow.  Don't lose hope.  Yes, there is a difference as far as the ovulation thing but if you at any point feel that you want to move forward then you should.  Also, the RE did so many more tests then my OBGYN, she said that they look for different things then the OBGYN.  Please keep me updated I would like to know what is going on with you.  It's hard to talk to women who are not going through the same thing.  Although I have lots of close friends and family they just don't understand.  If you would like I can give you my email address.  Just let me know, It helps to talk to someone who understands!  
Yeah, I've already read all that stuff about the ttc for 6 months if you're 35, see a specialist, etc.. Believe me, I asked ALL 3 of them (on different occasions) about that and they all said that just means that you should just get checked out (do the testing that I went through) if you have any concerns. I've researched doctors in my city and I've talked to many people who have children,etc.. I'm 100% certain these are the best doctors. I was in with a group before my embryo demise that were awful.  That's why I made sure to have the best ob/gyns this time around.  The thing that is good about the RS's office is that I can do all the testing there and find out the results the same day. It is a well oiled machine and the staff is helpful and compassionate.
Yes the group I go to is great.  Well I know you know what you are doing and I am sure it will allwork out.  I wish you the best and please let me know what happens and if you want my email address.  Take care and good luck tomorrow!
Sure, I'd like to keep in touch and see how its going with you too. I think we're having similar experiences despite the patch  fate led us down today. I'm very curious to see how it turns out for you. I think the IUI will work.  I might be in your situation before long. I'm going to find out about the tube test--RHS next.  

I know its hard to talk to friends--even ones who care b/c unless you're going through this you really don't get it. I feel completely alone.  On the other hand, I find it even harder to talk to friends who are ttc b/c I feel like they are too negative and bring me down. Or maybe one day I will hear that they're pregnant and I will feel even more pressure. My husband is very sweet and he is with me every step, but I feel like he is so sad himself that he has no words of encouragement for me these days. He's doesn't seem to know how to "handle" me in this type of situation.
Well I completely understand both sides of the friends things.  I think though that no matter what you still need to be positive, which I try to be always because the way I look at it there are so many people who are in a worse situation than me.  Not that it helps my situation but that's how I look at it.  I believe it will happen for you and me.  My husband is AWESOME and is also with me every step of the way including doing my injections.  We have fun with it and sometimes we have to laugh to keep from crying, so believe me I understand.  my email address is (***@****) and my name is Aleksandra but I go by Alex.  Look forward to hearing from you.  I live in Atlanta.
Alex, Its nice to chat with someone positive. You're right it could be worse. I have to look at it like this, I've gotten pregnant 2ce within 8 months of trying span. I guess that's pretty good even if they didn't last. Maybe now the RS will look into some more testing. Thank you for helping me pass time this afternoon. Its been wonderful for my psyche and nerves. Your e-mail address didn't come through. It just  came through as ***@****.  
So I guess your experiencing some nice weather since you're in Atlanta?
Yes weather here is pretty nice, chilli but nice.  I wonder if this forum does not allow you to send email addresses.  Let me try this. I will leave out the @.  aslifland  bellsouthnet.  Ok if you get this insert @ between aslifland and bellsouth and sfter bellsouth put a .net.  Let me know if that works.  The time passed was easy. No problem!
Got it. I will e-mail you tomorrow to let you know how it goes & you can tell me about your experience too. I think my experience is nearly over  b/c now I'm starting to feel cramping. I have a feeling I'm going to get my period tonight. Maybe I will not need to bother with the blood test tomorrow & it can just be over. At this point I'd just like closure. Again, thanks for your time. You really helped me just by listening.

The weather here is actually warm for Pittsburgh, high 40's...but still pretty chilly.  
look forward to it.
SHP
I am going through the exact same thing.  I did IVF and this Sunday (13 days from egg retrieval same I guess as ovulation) and had a faint pink line.  It didn't get any darker and tested Monday and Tuesday (It actually got lighter)  Went to my RE Wed. (16 dpo) and they said that my HCG was only 21.  They said that they wanted it to be 70-100.  I did another test that night and it was a darker pink.  Tested today and it was practically gone.  I have lost my mind with worry.  I am tired, broke and emotionally drained.  This was my first IVF after 9 months of IUI.  I will be 40 next month with high fsh and don't know weather to do this again with my own eggs or go to donor.  I will know by noon tomorrow if I have lost this baby.  I wish that I had stock in First Response.  
hi, i had a similar experience just a few weeks ago but i sincerely hope it doesnt end the way mine did. i tested at 11 dpo ( on a friday) and got a faint positive line but definetly a positive ( with a first response early test) so i did another test on sunday then on monday both again faint positive not getting any darker though,and again i tested on tuesday night when af was due line was lighter when i expected it would get darker again tested on wednesdat morning line had dissapeared negative i was extremely upset called my gp went in and had a blood test to check for hcg levels got results back on friday hcg was 0,  she did say that there was a possibility that it could have been a chemical pregnancy where fertilisation occurs embryo implants however the egg fails to thrive and if you do test early you catch the positive result but hcg can decrease dramatically within 2-3 days if pregnancy fails to thrive which was the case with me. However she also stated that chemical pregnancy is quite common about 50-60% women expereince but most dont even know they were pregnant as they  probably dont test early to catch the positive and get their period thinking it is a normal af when in fact it is a verly early miscarriage. Please do not assume the same thing will happen to you i just wanted to share my story with someone else as i am still upset and needed to let it out hope everything goes well please do let me know what happens all the best            
Sibs--Did you get your AF? If yes, how long after it was due?

I had my second Beta test this morning. I'm still waiting the results. I'm not delusional though, I know my hcg levels have dropped from 18 to below 15. Or else my hpt wouldn't have registered negative yesterday. Now I'm just hoping it keeps dropping so I can get my period and pass the fertilized egg. I don't want to have to have (another) D&C. The nurse told me the same thing she told you, Sibs, re: the cause of the chemcial pregnancy.  Its hard to wrap my brain around this b/c its "unexplained". I'm thankful nothing is seriously wrong with me, but if there was a cause at least I could visualize a plausible solution and begin to see the end of this dark and dreary tunnel I feel like I'm trapped in.  The good thing (for you too) is that I've read stuff online (and the nurse today told me) that once I get my AF this time that I'll be more fertile next month. Time will tell... but at least there's something to hope for. Oh, and the nurse also told me there are things I can control--such as taking a baby asprin (I wish I would have known this beforehand) and controlling my stress via yoga and acupuncture (I already do yoga and I was doing the acupuncture, but I stopped b/c it was spendy$$$$).

SHP, I feel your pain. I'm emotionally vacant now  too. I had to unplug my phone yesterday b/c I'm having a difficult time "talking" to anyone about this or anything else. My husband is in finance and he noticed that the First Response stock is going up. I think IT IS because of us. :-(  They should donate some of their profits to a "federal reproductive fund."  :-)  Try to stay positive--  Maybe its a good sign that you were able to get pregnant in the first place--even if it didn't last very long.  That's what I'm trying to tell myself now...

I found this info online (www.peeonastick.com). Its on point with our experineces. I'm posting it here for future reference:

I took a HPT test and it was positive, BUT I TOOK ANOTHER TEST AND THE LINE WAS LIGHTER?! Does this mean anything? Should it get darker? Not necessarily. In general, the positive line will be darker when a greater amount of hCG is present in the urine, but not always. Some tests contain more or less dye (meaning there is just more or less color to "stick" to your hCG.) Some tests are more or less sensitive-- even 2 tests in the same box can be different. Also, your urine may have more or less hCG in it depending on what you ate or drank, or how long it's been since you last peed. Food itself does not cause false results, but can affect how much urine you have and how dilute it is. Eating salty chips and drinking caffeine all day will result in more concentrated pee, whereas gorging on watermelon and ginger ale will result in lots of very dilute pee. But an HPT is not meant to tell you "how" pregnant you are. It only tells you if you are pregnant or not. As long as there is a line in the results window, you are pregnant.
Some women experiencing early miscarriages do notice their lines getting fainter or disappearing entirely, but even if your line gets fainter, it is not a guarantee that you are miscarrying, or that anything is wrong. See FAQ 21 for normal levels of hCG and how to properly measure it.

FAQ 21 talks about HCG levels and charts...

Here is a chart showing the "normal" level of hCG. Note: the start of pregnancy is calculated from a woman's last menstrual period, even though she does not conceive for approximately 2 weeks after her period begins. Therefore, a woman who is "6 weeks pregnant" is actually only (about) 4 weeks past conception. It's stupid, but alas, most women have no clue when they ovulated, only when they last menstruated, so that's how they do it . . . also, it's important to note that it's VERY RARE to actually ovulate on Day 14 of a 28-day cycle. It's ironic how so many doctors insist on this "fact," yet "everybody knows" the old Calendar Rhythm Method of birth control doesn't work. Why doesn't it work? Because most women don't ovulate on Day 14 of a 28 day cycle! So, it can be perfectly normal for a woman to ovulate only 10 days after her period, or even 20 days after her period-- or even earlier or later. A baby's due date is calculated based on this Day 14 Ovulation Fairy Tale, which is why due dates are so often very wrong.

days past conception/ovulation (DPO)  hCG in mIU/mL
in singleton pregnancy
7 days  0 - 5
14 days  3 - 426
21 days  18 - 7,340
28 days  1,080 - 56,500
35-42 days  7,650 - 229,000  
43-64 days  25,700 - 288,000  
57-78 days 13,300 - 253,000  
17-24 weeks  4,060 - 65,400  
25+ weeks  3,640 - 117,000  

Home pregnancy tests vary in sensitivity; they range from about 15 mIU/mL to 100 mIU/mL. Because hCG levels can be very low (and still be normal!) you shouldn't worry if it's taking longer than you think it "should" to get a positive pregnancy test. The important thing is not how high your hCG is, but how fast it increases. hCG should double approximately every 2-3 days. Early miscarriages are often identified by the failure of hCG to increase appropriately. (Even then, approximately 15% of healthy pregnancies are slow to double their hCG.)

Twins (and higher multiples) generally see higher levels of hCG (about 20-30% higher for twins, not double.) Interestingly, elevated levels of hCG have also been linked with singleton babies with Down's Syndrome.

It is very very VERY important to remember that HPT's cannot tell you "how" pregnant you are, or how much hCG is in your urine. They are simply a yes/no diagnostic tool. While you may see a darker line on a pregnancy test at 18 DPO than you did at 10 DPO, there are far too many variables for you to deduce anything concrete from the darkness of the lines. Test sensitivity can vary; there may be more or less dye or chemical reagent in different tests; your urine may be more or less concentrated depending on what you ate or drank or when you last peed; the tests may have been stored differently; you may have used more or less urine on one test than another.

If you are concerned or wish to monitor your hCG for proper increase, please do it properly-- under a physician's supervision, with a blood test at a lab-- not at home with a pee-stick.

Hey let me know how the Beta test went today.  I hope it all worked out.
SHP
My HCG fell from 21 to 15 today.  I knew it though.  We all hope for miracles or to be that one exception though.  I cried a lot today.  Not from loosing the pregancy as I think it is a great thing that we got pregnant at all. I am worried about money.  I found out that my husband's company switched insurance companies and the RE is not in the network.  My last insurance did not pay for treatments but did pay for the blood work.  They also capped what I could be charged so I will be paying hundreds upfront for blood work.  Before it ran me only about $60.  

I want to try again with my own eggs but I think that a donor is better odds.  I am so torn because in my heart I want to try for my own one more time.  I just haven't let go yet.  I was told that the. odds at my age with this last round was 20% and that a donor egg would be 50-60%.  I wish that we had the money to do both.  My husband's family is affluent and they won't help us because they are helping his brother who already has children.  They say that those children are already in the world and need financial help.  They have been letting the brother live rent free for 7 years in a house that they own.  The brothers work together for the dad and make the same salary. I just can't understand the justification of helping one and condeming the other to be childless.  I think that this hurts the most.

I decided to look into adoption today just so that if everything fails we know where to turn next. I didn't realize that so many agencies have age limits.  I will soon be 40 and my husband is 42.  They also typically have a rule of 3 years of marriage.  We have been together for 5 years but only made it legal 2 months ago.  I cried all day over this.  I didn't realize that I would not even be alowed to apply.  

My stick got paler yesterday.  I am glad that I tested because I was prepared.  If I had gone in thinking that everything was doubling I would have been more distressed when I found out the news.  I knew that I had to be positive but my stick did forcast what happened.  Some people don't need to be prepared  I do.
Hi,  I am so sorry for your loss even if you were some what prepared.  Don't give up hope!  My husband and I have so many friends that have adopted.  I don't know if the age thing is a requirement where you live but where I live the ages range from young to older and some of the couples we know have not been married that long.  There are couples of the same sex who we know have adopted so there are agencies that cater to everyone.  Please don;t give up hope you will be a mom, keep researching and I know you will find a way.  Good luck and keep us posted.  Thanks!
It was just as I expected. My hcg dropped from 18 to 6.5. I also started spotting. So its over... FOR NOW.  I'm not giving up hope. :-)  I'm being positive. The good news is that I got pregnant 2ce in 8 months... I will e-mail your personal e-mail b/c I have a story about what happened when I told a "friend" today what happened to me. You will not believe it. Just like I said yesterday about how its hard to talk to friends who are also ttc...this is exactly why.
I found these words to be encouraging... thought I'd post for anyone else--or for future reference:

http://www.drspock.com/faq/0,1511,5437,00.html

Ask Dr. Greenfield
Chemical Pregnancy

QUESTION
Dear Dr. Greenfield,
When I went to my doctor for a check up, they did a urine test, which said I was pregnant. This was about seven to nine days after I ovulated. I since have had another pregnancy test that came out negative. Could I still be pregnant or was I pregnant and possibly the baby didn't attach correctly?
— Worried Want-to-Be Mommy in Atlanta, GA

ANSWER
September 11, 2001

Dear Worried Want-to-Be Mommy,
What probably happened is something called a chemical pregnancy--as you described, the pregnancy hormone hCG began to go up as a very early pregnancy developed, but it didn't establish itself, causing the pregnancy hormone to drop back down. While emotionally it can feel like quite a loss, medically it is more like a cycle in which you didn't get pregnant than a real miscarriage. It is one of the main reasons I recommend that people wait until after they have missed their period to take a pregnancy test. Otherwise it can give you false hope and then increase the disappointment that you aren't yet pregnant.

The fact that it got that far does give you some good information--the egg and the sperm met, and fertilized. Remember to take your folate and keep trying--success is probably just around the corner!
— by Marjorie Greenfield, M.D.