Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Does the insemination procedure hurt?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Does the insemination procedure hurt?

We recently started the process of going to a fertility doctor to get pregnant.  I just had the HSG test done and it was extremely painful!!! The results of it were fine.  They did find that my uterus is very small and tilted.  We haven't gone to our doctor yet to find out what that really means, but my concern now is if insemination is going to be as painful as the HSG test i had done?

This discussion is related to Does insemination hurt?.
Hi. I'm with you. My HSG was my least favorite part of ttc. I really got myself nervous about it. Don't even worry about iui. It's no even remotely similar to an HSG. Think of it more like a pap, but that's not even a fair comparison. Honestly, I didn't feel the procedure. It's a super tiny tube that's used & when my doctor told me he was done, I was surprised :) I did iui three times & one time, I did feel a bit of cramping, but honestly, it's nothing to worry about :) Good luck!
Yep, I agree with mommyin10, HSG was horrible for me and I was so nervous for the IUI but it was absolutely nothing. Like a pap smear. My husband was with me, holding my hand and I think he was more bothered by it then me *lol*.
I didnt have any cramping but they some do, but I have never heard anyone say that it hurt.

Good luck :)
Thank you both for responding to my post.  That makes me feel a lot better.  We have a follow up meeting with our doctor this tuesday to talk about Clomid and the IUI, as well as my tilted, very small uterus (i'm guessing).  But thank you again.  You both have put me a ease.  I"ll keep you updated on things!
I also think the HSG test was the worst.  I have a severly tilted uterus. My doctor said it is normal to have some kind of tilt, variation and that 60% of women have it to some degree or another.  He told me it wont cause any problems, just that when they do the IUI they will maye have to bend the catheter a little to get it to where it needs to be.  You'll be fine.  My husband thought it was NEAT....go figure!!  Good luck.  You didn't mention if your husband had a semen analysis yet.  If mine would have done his first I could have saved myself all the wasted time and discomfort of all the tests that I had done. Good luck
What did they say about your small uterus? My hsg revealed a t-shaped uterus, which means it's small too. My RE advised me that multiples weren't an option for me because of the risks posed with a smaller uterus (meaning less room for the babies to grow). We ended up doing ivf, only transferring one embryo & I'm currently 32 weeks with twins & they're growing appropriately & are very healthy. So, whatever the setback, there's always hope :) Best wishes for your appt Tues!
Ladies thank you so much for all your feedback!!!  Jess 1080......my husband did have a semen analysis back in july and had to get surgery to fix the issue.  Now his swimmers are great.  So little by little things are getting fixed.  Mommyin10...tomorrow I will ask our doc. all about the uterus, as well as the question she had about my right fallopian tube.  She's not sure if it was that the x-rays or films were too small that she couldn't see the spill of the HSG test.  I'm not sure.  I hope that it's just that, that it was too small what they sent from the hospital and that it's fine.  I'm nervous to find out and very anxious to continue this process.  Will have more updates tomorrow.  Thanks again to all of you!
Hi Ladies,
We had our app. today and it went really well!  My uterus and everything else is good.  All of our blood work came back good.  So we're good to go for the Clomid and insemination.  Which that will be later on, probably the end of this month.  I did mention to her about the HSG and how it was so painful.  She said the same thing that the insemination won't compare to that test.  Thanks again for your kind words  and to mommyin 10 congratulations!!!!