Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Failed Vasectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Failed Vasectomy

I had a Vasectomy 5 years ago.  3 years after the Vasectomy my wife was pregnant.  We have had 4 negative sperm counts.  A Certified DNA test confirmed that she is my child.  Lucky number 3.
Has anyone had a confimed situation of a failed Vasectomy and negative sperm counts?  Do we re-Vasectomy or take our chances with another child.

New Father
Wow, we always say it only takes one. Who knew it really can be the case! If it happens once, it can happen again. Ask the poor chump who's been struck by lightning 26 times. I'd call the doc and see if he'd fix it for good. Wow, Super Sperm!
Hi finally someone else the same!!!! My husband and I decided on a vasectomy when I was 8 months pregnant with our daughter baby #4 I fell pregnant when our daughter was 4 yrs old. We too had all the proper tests to confirm that the vasectomy had worked and it did. Now in the mean time we took other precautions and then a few months ago we decided to have baby #6 I am now pregnant with #6 and everything is going well so far...... We are undecided to go ahead with another vasectomy because of the 1st.. I think not only because our son we had post vasectomy is now turning 4 so our other precautions worked better than the vasectomy lol.. Any way thats our story good luck with your decisions...
Well,  my husband and I are on the same boat as you apparently.  On July 9th of 2008 he had a vasectomy. In early September semen analysis was done and came back clear with no sperm. Last week (October 21) I found out that I'm pregnant! The pregnancy was dated to only 3 weeks old so it must have happened after the sperm analysis said there was no sperm. I haven't had sex with anyone else besides my husband and am completed confused as to how this could have happened. Wouldn't getting pregnant with "no sperm" be impossible? Another semen analysis was done a couple days ago and still came back azospermazoic (no sperm present).
wow....must be nice. My husband had a vasectomy 11 years ago and I only wish that we'd be that lucky......
hi there was jus womdering for those that have had pregnancy agfter vsectomy was it mainlydue to recanilasation if so were thereany problems after vectomy as well that may have been a sign ie lumps or bleeding
My husband had a vasectomy alomst 4 years ago! And yesturday I took a pregnancy test and it caome up postive I took 2 more and they were negative? I'm late this month 11 days! I have 4 kids! My husband had test done about a week after his vasectomy and it came back neg. for live sperm but I was told he had to go back 3 times to get it tested he only went that one time! So I have no clue what I should do! In  same boat!
9 months after my vasectomy, my wife is pregnant. My wife is in shock ... after all she witnessed the surgery (the vas deferens was cut, a section removed, was cauterized and stitched). Two sperm spot samples (microscope/slide) done in the doctor's practice have shown negative (no sperm). We are undertaking a more comprehensive SPUN test to verify fertility. Several posts on this site claim post vasectomy pregnancy (backed up by DNA testing) despite negative sperm counts.
What are the possible medical explanations for a post vasectomy pregnancy if multiple sperm tests show up negative?  Is the testing at fault … can one rogue spermatozoa beat the odds!
i had a vasectomy 5 years ago and now (30/06) both me and my other half think she is pregnant by 2 weeks as she has never been this late for her cycle and she has started getting heart burn and has had a metallic taste in her mouth along with sore breasts oh and peeing alittle more often then normal. could she be in the club again with child number 4??????