Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
HOW DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY WEEKS PREGNANT?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Okay so I am a little confused, I got a positive beta last Monday and it has exactly been a week and two days, does that I mean I should start counting the weeks of my pregnancy when the eggs were removed as that was when the egg and spem started fertilizing, or do I start from the day of the transfer to count.  I had my transfer on July 31, and they removed my eggs the 27th of July, when do I actually count.  Also, I hear all of the women talk about their HCG numbers, but did you guys ask your RE about them and if so what did you ask them, they have never once given me a number so Im not sure what to ask.  I have had 2 preg test and both times, she said they were climbing but never really gave me a number, so what does that mean?  How should I approch my RE about the numbers?  Any Advice to my first and second question?
I would imagine that you would count like other pregnancies, by the first day of your last period.  I don't know much about IVF, but I would think that it has to be done within a cycle so the dates should be like every other pregnancy.  Most eggs get fertilized after ovulation and then implant a few days later just like IVF.  We still count the first two weeks of the cycle as pregnant.  
Hey angel123456, I had no idea what HCG meant until my RE left a message and "your pregnant and your HCG levels are 30.8" last Wednesday (#2IVF but #1BFP).  I called the office and asked the nurse.  So I think you will be just fine to call and ask what they are and are they doubling because my nurse said they would like to see them "double" every 48 to 72 hours.  And if you google HCG you will find all kinds of good stuff including charts.  I think it was "ashort" who helped clarify it for me.
I struggled with the same question of "how far along am I?" as we are in the unique position, many times, to know the exact moment of conception (or darn close :) ) but I think that the general rule is to count it just like any other woman does, which is from the date of the LMP...

HCG is the hormone that is present in your body during pregnancy...they may not tell you the numbers so as not to give you something to obsess about (yea, right...don't we all anyway?? lol) but I can't see any harm in asking them what the number was...
Do you calculate from the LMP before IVF cycle, or the one that happens like two weeks within the IVF cyle?  For example, my last LMP was June 28th.  During IVF and according to my calendar made by my RE, my next LMP was July 14th while on the Lupron injections.
okay so I asked my RE today the numbers and she said 900 and two days later it was 1875, she also indicated that those seem high and COULD indicate twins, what do you guys think of the number I tested 2 weeks after the transfer so from reading otehr articles I guess they said a little biut above 500 is pregnant but at 900 sounds like twins, is this number normal?
When I called my doctor yesterday she told me to count from your last AF and thats how she got that I was 4 wks now and on Friday I will be 5 wks.  I hope this helps.
start counting from your first day of last period
IVF is calculated by the retreival date.
Yes, as hping4babe said, it starts on your ER date.  Our periods were controlled and cycles were induced so the first day of our last period doesn't really mean much for us.
I have read and my doctor confirmed that w/ IVF it's completely different than a normal preg. is calculated.  You start calculating 2 weeks prior to retrieval.  My retrieval was on 8/16 and transfer on 8/21.  I was officially 4 weeks preg. on 8/30 when i got my +++ according to the Dr.  

Hope this helps.