Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Had ovulation on 100 mg of Clomid but not on 150 mg-anyone else ever do...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Had ovulation on 100 mg of Clomid but not on 150 mg-anyone else ever done this?

Hi, last month my dosage of clomid was increased to 100 mg.  I didn't ovulate until day 24, however, and progesterone was around 12 (can't remember exactly).  Anyway, dr. said was okay but she'd like to see higher so gave me 150 mg days 5-9.  Anyway, I used an OPK from day 13-24 and got negatives.  No big deal but then I started spotting on Day 24 (which was 3 days ago).  I went to dr. yesterday and she was puzzled by this since last month I for sure ovulated, had a clear thermal shift and a 12 day luteal phase.  Has this ever happened to anyone else?  She thought that maybe I ovulated but the ovary didn't release the egg.  If that's the case, I may be needed HcG shots by an RE.  She gave me one more round of 150 mg just in case this month was a fluke, but if it doesn't work, then it's time for the RE.  Another question is that the flow has been very light (dark brown spotting, just a little red~sorry TMI!)so I'm worried about considering this a new cycle (I would be on CD 3).  I've kept taking OPK and getting negatives.  Also, I had pain over my left ovary for a few days that ended last week.  What should I make of all this?  Thanks in advance!
I would start taking the clomid tonight. When I first took it, I ovulated a little late when I took it on days 5-9. I started taking it on days 5-7 and ovulated around CD14. You might take a hpt just to make sure, but the strange AF may be due to the clomid's effect on your uterine lining. How long have you been taking clomid? It may be time for a referral to the RE. I had cycles when I ovulated, and some when I didn't. Then my doc switched me to Femara, and I had one cycle with ovulation and one without.

After I started seeing the RE, he did laparoscopy and found a bunch of adhesions and a cyst that needed to be removed. The adhesions explained why I was getting an LH surge, but low progesteron results. We just started TTC again this month.

In all of that rambling, I probably did not answer your questions, did I?
When you say you took it on days 5-7, do you mean 3-7?  I asked my dr about that once and she said that taking it earlier didn't necessarily cause you to ovulate earlier.  She said the late ovulation wasn't a problem and not to be worried about it. It just meant we'd have to BD a little longer each month :)  I just finished my 5th clomid cycle (3 50 mg cycles (old doctor), 100 mg cycle and 150 cycle) so this will be my sixth cycle.  I'm really contemplating not taking the meds this cycle and take a "break" just to see what happens.  I can ovulate on my own, but just very sporadically.  DH is up for me taking a break, too.  He's been a little stressed over all this as well and hates my mood swings and night sweats that I have on Clomid.  Plus, I'm not convinced this is AF and I don't want to start the clomid if it's not.  It has been mostly light brown and very very light.  Now it's almost non-existent (only there if I use a tampon~sorry tmi!)I spotted like this last month for a couple of days, it stopped, temps stayed higher and then AF came 4 days later (normal flow) and temp went down.    Sorry to ramble.  Thanks for your thoughts.
Yes, I meant days 3-7. Some docs say it makes no difference- including my obgyn. However, my RE recommends taking it on days 3-7, and I ovulate sooner when taking it earlier in the cycle.

But there's nothing wrong with taking a break from the clomid, especially if you're unsure about AF.

And feel free to ramble, because it's your thread!!
I really understand. I've experienced two pregnancies, and the last one was my ectopic...July '05. I was hestitant about the RE, but I figured why not. I'm glad that I did, but I don't know if I'll do IVF either. I'm 34 and the clock is ticking, but I also believe that what is meant to be will be.

Take a moment for some time to yourself and just think about it. Which thought brings you more peace? Skipping a cycle or being referred to the RE? At any time in this journey you can say, "hey, we're done...let's move on."
This AF thing really has me confused.  Today, hardly, hardly anything.  Also, I'm still torn about taking a break this month.  It's so hard to emotionally slow down since we've been at this since last March when I had a m/c.  I have a 3 1/2 year old son and I desperately want him to have a brother or sister.  It's also hard when I have so many friends who are preggo right now.  One of my best friends just called me about an hour ago to say she is pg with her second.  I'm very happy for her and I'm not envious b/c she has had her own struggles in the past but it still tugs at my heart since there's no certainty we'll ever have another.  We wanted 4 kids and now we'll be lucky to have two.  The whole RE thing scares me b/c it can get so expensive.  We won't do IVF but the clomid with IUI (my next step) is around $800 each time, with no certainties.  So, I'm not sure what to do.  Some days I just want to quit period because I'm tired of being disappointed.
Thanks so much for your thoughts and encouragement.  I know there are so many people out there struggling to have their first and I should be thanking God for the son I do have (which I do daily), but it's still hard.  I have a friend who has no children and had a failed IVF cycle last summer and I really feel for her.  

On another note, AF has been nothing but some brown spotting the last couple of days and my temps went up yesterday morning and again this morning.  Yesterday, I took about 2 hours late b/c I slept in and this morning was about 45 minutes late, but the temp difference is 0.5 degrees higher.  Do you know anything about temping?  Is this normal for taking it later? Do you think I should count this spotting as AF? I'd hate to start taking Clomid and really be pg.
Hmm...the temp that you took 2 hours late may not be valid, but I don't think 45 minutes late would make a difference.

Have you taken a hpt to just in case?
No, I haven't taken one yet.  I think I may wait a couple of days.  I'm really pretty sure this is not AF, but could just be annovulatory bleeding.  If it doesn't turn into full AF in a few days and if pg test is negative, I may ask dr. to if I can take Prometrium to induce AF, then start the Clomid based on that.  DH and I talked about taking a break this month again last night but if it's not going to work and I end up having laproscopy done, I'll have to take a break that month as well.  So, I guess I'll just see how it goes.  I'll keep you posted.  Thanks for all your insight!  Lots of baby dust to you!