Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
How did you pay for IVF?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

How did you pay for IVF?

We just finished our first IVF cycle where I was fortunate to get pregnant but sadly miscarried.  We met with the RE today for a follow up and he suggests a second round.  We spent our savings on the first round and are unsure how to afford the second (save up for many months, I guess???).  My question is how did you pay for your treatments?
First.. I'm sorry for your loss.

I assume from your post that you didn't freeze any embies as obviously that's a less expensive treatment than a full IVF cycle.  My husband and I are both teachers, so we are very conscious of spending and didn't want to empty our savings completely. Of course we never thought we have to go this far, so our plans clearly changed. When we talked to the financial coordinator at the RE's office, we were offered a payment plan. We paid a portion up front but were able to pay off the rest with no interest added over the course of several months, up to six, I think. Maybe your clinic offers something similar.  I also know that there are companies out there that will finance for you - like a medical credit card - but the few we were given info on charged interest and we did not want to pay more than we were already paying.  Additionally, if you have a flexible spending account, they will reimburse you immediately for expenses up to the total cost in account even if you haven't contributed yet. That's how we got through this last cycle without going broke. Hope that's helpful.  It's stressful for certain but I know in the end it will be worth every penny.
Thanks for the post.  And yes, we had no embryos make it to freezing.  My RE is very strict about what they freeze and our 6 embies didn't make the grade.  I will definitely try speaking with the financial coordinator.  The first time we were able to write a check for the entire amount, so that should mean something!  :)
I am lucky enough to have insurance.  I did 3 IVF's already  & had 2 m/c out of that.  I have one more round left & will go around september.  Taking a break for now.......

Good Luck to you!!
I am so sorry for your loss! I will pray for your contiued peace with everything.  

I am blessed with the insurance I have at my job; that they cover 2 IVF cycles per year and unlimited IUI's. They cover 75/25 for everything else. Check into your insurance and see if there is anything more they can do.
I wish my insurance were as such. We have been paying 100% out of pocket, including all meds. I can't understand why this wouldn't be covered by all insurance companies but the explanation I was given was "having a baby isn't medically necessary."  Gee, thanks. That's comforting. I'm not quite sure they get it actually is medically necessary for me to maintain my sanity. HA!
Congrats. What insurance is that in ATL? My sister lives there only wished i did and could.
Trh0819- I totally agree it should be covered by every ones insurance!

Jamaicababy- I have Unitedhealthcare through my job.
I have UHC, too, but employers get to decide what they include in coverage and mine doesn't include infertility. So unfortunate.
At first I thought I can only effort for only 1 IVF cycle.....but I could not give up my dream, having a baby.  After first failed IVF, I max out my credit cards for the 2 cycles package which is one M/C and one ectopic.  I know that at least I could get pregnant, so I took all 401K, retirement plan and buy the 3 cycles package and would give up if I could not get pg after these 3 cycles.  My 4th IVF is failed, and now I'm 35 weeks pg with a boy on my 5th IVF.  So don't give up, we can make the money, but money could not make up the time......I will be 40 next month.....I start the treatment when I was 35. Good luck on you next cycle.
Yes it is very unfortunate. Just makes me so angry!
Well belive it or not I just had to come up with a few thousand so i baked and went around and sold to the bussiness and that is how I am paying for this and the rest of the money my RE gave payments !!
Amazing what we all do! This past cycle was out of pocket..insurance  only gives 10,000 a year up tp 20,000....we lost in March..this cycle we borrowed from my sister 5,000 and paid the rest from credit cards and savings! We just paid her back 3 but owe the rest over the summer! This time so far, so good, so it will all be worth it!
It's crazy how much insurance varies. I pay $1900 out of pocket for COBRA PPO insurance (after the research study I worked on ended, I had to pay for COBRA out of pocket) and it covers no infertility treatment. I wish I had read the policies closer b/c if we had gone w/ my husband's insurance it would have covered 90% of treatments up to $30,000--but at that time, I had no idea I'd have a hard time conceiving.  We can't switch insurance til Dec and given my age (I just turned 40) I don't feel comfortable waiting until then to do ivf.
We have enough for one cycle, then we will have to borrow from family, I guess.
My IVF was covered by my insurance but I know that sometimes different states have programs. I would speak to financial coordinator at your RE and explain the situation.
We also had to pay for all our fertility treatment as medical aid doesn't consider infertility to be a medical condition.  It makes me cross - I'm fit and healthy, exercise lots, eat well and have never had a medical problem in my life other than I can't get pregnant.  However, if I were to choose a different lifestyle and drink, smoke and eat junk food all day and get associated illnesses as a result, medical aid would pay for treatment even though it's as a result of a lifestyle decision.  Just doesn't make sense to me!  Don't think there even are any schemes here that include infertility.  Good luck!
Thanks for all the posts.  It is so interesting to see how things can be done very different in another state.  My insurance nor my husbands does not cover infertility treatments only diagnosis.  We are saving and trying to decide what our best route is.  My husband has an appt with the urologist to get his take on things and I may have convinced my DH to "start" looking into donor sperm.  We'll see, but GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU!  We all deserve SSBD!
Well fortunately for myself, I'm a UAE citizen and the government pays for all of our medical treatments. I don't  know what the costs are, but I'm sure it's very expensive. Wish you the best of luck..