Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
How to reduce swelling and bruising due to progesterone shots

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

I have been taking progesterone shots on my bottom. So far it was ok, but the shot I got yesterday has been bad, it's bruised badly and swollen too much. How do I reduce the swelling? I need to get the swelling down as I alternate the shots. Any remedies?
Maria put a heating pad on it. It may help. Also do the injections like this.
1. Put an ice cube on the site of the injection for like a minute or so so the site will be numb and you will not feel anything, it helps a lot
2. After the injection Massage immediately for like 5 min. to prevent swelling and hardiness of the place.
3. If it is necessary put a heating pad for 5 min.
I am doing it like this since the very first day and i don/t have any swelling or bruising. The massage has helped a lot cause the oil is thick and it will stay on one place for a couple of hours, but when you massage it it seems to warm it up a little and it gets absorbed better. This are tricks that my doctor told me and they seem to work.
NO HEAT, ICE
heat actually spreads the swelling, dilating the small blood vessels and can make bruising much worse.  heat is fine for sore muscles, not for injections or bruising.
ICE the spot for several minutes prior to injection.  This shrinks all the vessels in the area to make it far less likely you will hit one and cause bruising.
continue to ice the bruised area several times a day for the first 48 hours...after that it doesn't help much.
try not to use that spot until it's back to normal if you can.
you can use your legs as well as your butt for injections.
I am experiencing extreme pain and swelling as well as redness beyond the injection area.  My doctor took me off of the injections and has me back on suppositories and oral meds but I'm petrified my hips are not going to go back to their original state.  I notice limps and now a huge blue vein that was never visible before.  What do I do at this point to bring down the swelling? I wasn't given any of the above instructions when I started the progesterone injections so I rested and slept most of the days away....worst thing to do I guess. Yesterday was so bad my husband had to carry me and even then I was screaming in pain.

Please advise