Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
IVF Success With Only 3-4 follicles?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

IVF Success With Only 3-4 follicles?

Hi Ladies!!

I'm trying for baby #3, having a beautiful 4yr old son, and gorgeous 18mth old daughter, who I conceived relatively easily using IUI.  Last year, I had one cancelled IUI, due to over-responding to 75iu of puregon, I had about 9 mature follies.  Then I had two failed IUI's, both using 75iu puregon, and growing multiple good sized follies.

I'm in my first ever IVF cycle, and have hit an unexpected problem.  I'm responding badly to 225iu of puregon, and it was increased to 300iu about a week ago.  Since the increase, my E2 has been rising really well, but the problem is my RE only saw 4 follicles yesterday at my first scan, and said that the follicles need to be 'recruited' at the start of the cycle really, as now it's impossible for more to come.  I was thinking to cancel this cycle, and start a new one using 300iu or so, but my FSH is 10m and my AMH .71, neither are good.  My RE is recommending I continue with at least IUI, but prefers me to go through with the IVF.  I would give IUI a shot, as it's much less expensive, but the problem is my RE says there is fluid around my pelvis and ovaries, which could make the IUI pretty difficult, as the fluid could interfere with the eggs getting down the tubes.  This fluid has been seen before on scans, and was actually there when I conceived my daughter.  He said it means there is inflammation.  I actually had a laparascopy just before I conceived my daughter, but it showed nothing.  Apparently, everything looked 'perfect'.  I'm now wondering, has anyone had any success with IVF with only 3 eggs being retrieved?  I know it's a long shot, but I'm hoping if I go ahead with IVF I will get at least 3 eggs retrieved, as my E2 level tomorrow should be around 5,000 and in New Zealand, the E2 measurement is that 1,000 E2 means one mature follicle.  I go for my scan tomorrow, and will have to decide what to do.  I don't really want to cancel, as I've paid so much money for the drugs, and my RE isn't even talking about cancellation.    

Any success stories would be so welcomed!!!!!  
i have had two good sized follicles, one just about mature, and a couple smaller. Six were retrieved, three fertilized, three were transfered and we are pregnant with a singleton. So yes, you can have success with three follicles. I was lucky to have an egg in each follicle. Also we transferred at day three of fertilization since it did not make sense to wait to day 5 to select the best embryos, since we had so little of them. They have a better chance of grwoing in their natural environment, the uterus.
Good luck dear.
Thanks so much, and CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!  That is awesome!!

I had another scan today, and I now have seven follicles, sizes 11, 13, 14, 15, 16, 16+ and 20.  I took another FSH injection tonight, as my E2 is still rising, so hopefully these follies will grow a little bit more by tomorrow.  I go for more bloodwork tomorrow and should be taking the HGC trigger tomorrow, and going for retrieval on the 22nd!  Hopefully I can get five eggs!!  I asked my RE today why I had responded so much less this time, and he told me it's because I am on a higher dose of buserelin, as they need to ensure I don't ovulate this time.  The higher dose makes the ovaries less responsive to the drugs.  

Anyway, thanks so much for your response!!  It is lovely to know that pregnancies can occur with so few follicles.  All the best with your pregnancy, and ENJOY, it's one of the most beautiful times of a woman's life!!!  

Marietta :0)
I just read your post and wanted to respond. Maybe my story can give you a little hope. I am 37 years old and this is the first time I have attempted doing IVF. The first of this year is when I began my first IVF cycle. After taking all of the hormones I only ended up with four follicles. During the retrieval process, the doctor was only able to get two good eggs. I also would like to add that during the screening process my husband was told he had a low sperm count. I was terrified because at this point the odds were against us, but my husband, the amazing man that he is, kept telling me not to worry because it was going to work... The embryologist contacted us daily to keep us updated on the status of our embryos. The day before implanting the embryos we received a call informing us that one of the embryos had arrested. This meant we were left with just one embryo. By the grace of god it worked. I am now twenty weeks pregnant and no complications. Tomorrow we have the ultrasound to determine the sex of our little miracle. So, my advice to you is yes, IVF can work with only three because mine did with one. I hope this helps to give you a little more hope.... I'll keep you in my prayers... Good Luck & God Bless!!!
If your E2 increasing well several follies may be in hiding.
Second during my ivf cycle we saw more follies on later u/s scans.  

Finally, if you have a "hydro" (fluid around your tubes" that problem should have been taken care of BEFORE ivf since it dramatically decreases your chances.