Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Is frequent cramping after IVF embryo transfer normal?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

I had my embryo transfer last thursday. And ever since then, I've been getting a lot of menstral cramping. It is getting worse and more painful now. I asked my doctor and but he didn't say anything. I'm worried because doesn't cramping usually mean you aren't pregnant and the uterus lining is building up to get ready for your mentrual period?
Hi. I did ivf in July & I had minor cramping from 3 days after through at least 5 days after. I'm now 33 weeks pregnant :) So, I'm not sure how severe your cramping is, but don't lose hope, ok?! It could be your embryo(s) burrowing in & attaching to your uterus. Best wishes!!! Drink lots of water & stay rested :)
well, i have had cramps for the past week but it got worse the last 3 days, and especially last night, all of a sudden the cramping got really painful for a couple of hours on and off.

today, it's better, but still cramping once in a while.
Dont worry-I had pretty bad cramping after mine too and I am now 28 weeks pregnant.  Best of luck!  many times cramping is a good sign!  
I had my transfer on this past Sunday the 7th.  Im experincing pain as well....yesterday it was on the left side then today it was on the right side & now it feels like a bloaty feeling like im about to come on or its my 1st day of my period. BUT Im going to have faith in what mommyin10 said.....thanks i need that. Maaaaaan this is stress itself just waiting for the day of the p/test not knowing day by day if the embryos are still there....CRAZY.
Hi Everyone.  I had a single embryo day 5 transfer on tuesday, 2/9.  I'm experiencing some "tightness" in my lower lower abdomen area.  It comes are goes....
We go on 2/22 for the blood test.  The waiting is just torture.  Good luck to everyone
I am sorry you are having so much cramping but as long as it's tollerable it is normal because it's the uterine lining stretching from progesteron.
If the cramping is really bad I would def recommend a Dr looking at you because it is possible that the embryo implanted in the wrong place.  :-(
Just check to be safe.
Well, I just got a positive with my bloodtest this past saturday so I am pregnant.  =)

But I am still cramping a lot. It feels exactly like menstrual cramps.

I hope the cramping will stop soon, because everytime I cramp I think there's something wrong with the embryos.

Thanks everyone I had mine on June 17th (which happened to be my birthday!) now we wait until monday the 28th (since the 27th is on a sunday). I have had one very light spotting scare 2 days after, but I think it was just irritation from the progestrone insert. And now I'm having light cramping in my lower stomach area. And sometimes on the right side.
hubby & i have been trying to conceive. i had my egg transfer last thursday 16 dec. surprisingly, after some chores on tuesday 21 dec. i started bleeding; just like my regular period. has anyone experienced this?
Anybody had breast pain during 2WW after IVF-ET transfer? Cramping also occurs. Tensely waiting for the Beta Results....
Sitting here with cramps after embryo transfer last Monday. If that didn't occur I would be convinced that my period is on the way!! They come and go but worried next time I pass urine I will see my period.. I have read a lot of good stories but trying to keep positive! I contact the clinic and didn't find the nurse very helpful said if I bleed then she said ring again..... Told me it could me nothing... Need more.:(
Hi just interested on ure outcome? First time on the website and sounds like I'm in the same boat u were last jun.
breast tenderness for sure and cramps like period I am day 7 from transfer. Fingers crossed!
Hello dear, have the same signs as yours and today is my 7 day transfer as well. Waiting desperately and worried. I hope these works for us all . Tomorrow am going in for a HGC test hope they trace pregnancy. I hardly sleep   am so disturbed , but try as much as possible to thing positive
hi hollandlop... am on the same boat nw as u were in 2010.. i ve been cramping since my ET which was last tuesday... sometimes it gets worser than evr.. today i feel better... bt definitely cramping s still der on and off... dey exactly feel lik menstural cramps whch i had in al bfn cycles... am so scared if af wil show off!!!!!!:( i wish i should be pregnant.. beta is on coming sunday.. fingers crossed!!!!!!!!
My cramping is better fo past 2 days.. bt slight cramps nw and then.. some itchy feel in my vagina  (sorry if TMI).. very achy chests at times... 2 more days to go fo my BETA.. fingers crossed.. Hopefully i wil post a positive result !!!!!!!!
I had a IVF transfer on Thursday 05/23/13 and cramping started about three days after and I am still having them they come and go. Is this normal? I am just freaking out this is my second time trying but I don't remember having them the first time so I am hoping it is a good sign.
Hi, I take progresterone Lutinus after ET. Now I am day 6 after 2day ET. I heard it's considered a normal side effects, as indicated in the leaflet (Lutinus information website). God, I hope I will have a succesfull one just like yours and it's all be worthy =). Thanks for your post.

Ahlberg, Sweden
Hi I had my et on Wednesday and was fine until Saturday I was getting little cramps like period pains. Today it's quite painfull it's my 3rd and last go of ivf and I'm just a little bit scared.
Hi, I am 6 dpt 3et and have been cramping a lot since the 3rd day post et. Some times it is mild and at time it is bit more for a short while, then it goes off but mild cramp is always there intermittently. Is it normal? I also had dark brown discharge on the 2nd and the 6 th day which is today. Can some one please help me here.
Hi everyone! In a way it's really helpful seeing that so many of us are going through similar feelings and symptoms:-). Otherwise you will quite alone in this. It's the first time I've done this. I'm 12days after my 5ET, had some spotting and red blood on day 7, felt miserable, since then no spotting but lots of bloating and severe cramping every day. The clinic told me not to do anything and just wait for the results on day 14. I wish all the best for all of us!
I am day 8 of et i had 2 transfered a 7 and 8,  been getting cramp the last couple day and getting worried.