Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Late ovulation causes infertility?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Late ovulation causes infertility?

I'm 28 and have been trying to get pregnant for 14 months now. All our fertility tests are normal. I used OPKS and found that I always ovulate on cd 21. My RE seems to think that's the reason for not being able to conceive. Many people I know have longer cycles, so I'm not sure if its true. Anyone have any idea about this?
being all of your test are normal,does that mean you had your housbands sperm analysis done? also have you had your hsg done to see if your tubes are open,i would not think that ovulating later would not be a problem,of course im not a docter but every one has different cycles,docters would like every single female to have 28 day cycles and ovulate on the 14th day,it seems if you dont they think thats the problem right away,then they will probably put you on chlomid and maybe give you the hcg  trigger shot to make you ovulate sooner.
Yeah, my husbands sperm is normal, and my HSG showed both tubes are open. I was put on clomid and had my first IUI last week. Have to wait for another week before I know if it worked.
do you have a 28 day cycle? if it is a long cycle that would be why you are ovulating late,i think as long as you are ovulating any at all that you are fine.did you develope a lot of follicles off of chlomid?
Well I have long cycles (usually 30-40 days, ovulating around day 15-26). I just found out I'm pregnant yesterday, and I've been pregnant before (unfortunatley ended in miscarriage). I thought as long as your luteal phase was longer than 10 days, you should be able to conceive. I'm 23 if that helps, I'm not sure why your doctor said that, maybe you should ask her to clarify! But it's totally possible to have long cycles and conceive.
Sissymae, I have a 35 day cycle. I had one matured follicle after clomid.
NTaylor, congratulations :). Its comforting to know that you did get pregnant despite a long cycle. My RE said that with a late ovulation you may be releasing eggs that have not been matured properly. Also, the other hormone levels are not in sync with the egg.
Thanks so much for replying....what you said makes complete sense...but since my cycle is a 35 days cycle, I still have a luteal phase of about 14 days. My doc said I did not need progesterone since my lining was quite thick. I have to read up some more on progesterone and what it does.
I have seen other people on this site post what your RE said - that late ovulation can mean that the eggs are not maturing properly or that they're overly mature by the time they do get released and are unable to be fertilized.

The other thing is that it is possible to receive positive OPK's and never actually ovulate.  Your body can get all prepared and then never carry through.  Did your RE suggest charting your BBT in addition to using OPK's?  This might help confirm that you are actually releasing an egg.

If the RE thinks that Clomid is the way to go, then I'd definitely do that.
Also, since it is so late your cycle your luteal phase may not be long enough for implantation to happen. That means you have 7 days before your period starts for the egg to implant and most implantation happens days 7 - 10. So this could be the answer your were looking for. You doc may prescribe progesterone to prolong your luteal phase which may help or may suggest something else that will help you to O earlier in cycle. The problem with that is that your luteal phase usually stays constant so making it longer will more than likely help. Just my opinion anyway.
well im sure that you will get your bfp and i wish you the best of luck!!!!!! as everyone says (lots of sticky baby dust to you!!)
Ladies,

I understand so well what you are going through. I have had 3 miscarriages since November 2005, and after having every imaginable test to try and disciver what the problem may be, the only "red flag" is my ovulation days. I am ovulating around day 20 or 21 every month, including the past 2 miscarriages. Crazy thing is, with each of the 3 pregnancies, I conceived the first month of trying each time. So, one would think that I am "fertile", but I am now believing that my egg quality is poorer/weaker due to late ovulation.

So I am starting Clomid as of this Friday, and am SO nervous. I do not know if I can survive another loss. Does anyone know how long I need to be taking clomid prior to trying to conceive again? FYI, they are planning to have me on Clomid days 5-10, then plan on giving me an HCG shot and IUI following. Yikes.
I have a 23 day cycle but i hardly decide when is the right day for my ovulatio to start.
Read your blog and I have also been trying for 20+ months. I have also "normal tests" but  I ovulate between day 18 and day 28.  I have tons of fertile cervical fluid for up to 7 days before I ovulate and my breasts are so sore.

Has anyone heard of estrogen dominance?  Apparently being on the pill for several years depletes our B Complex, magnesium and zinc levels that help with hormone balance and we also get a lot of third party estrogen from our environment & food we eat.

I found this site www.energeticnutrician.com.  Type in estrogen dominance and see what it says.

I am going to try to cleanse my body and see if I can naturally restore some hormone balance.

T