Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Life after depo

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

Life after depo

Hi All, Can anyone share their knowledge or experience with me please.  

I came off the depo in August last year and I am really pleased to say my periods have returned, albeit 2 weeks and counting but I guess this is to be expected as I was on the depo for over 12 years and to be honest I am really pleased how quickly things returned to normal. However, my question is does this necessarily mean I can now get pregnant?  I thought having my periods back would mean everything is ok down there.

Also, I gained some weight whilst on the depo and was wondering if anyone knows if this weight will now slowly disappear...heres hoping eh!!

Thanks in advance.

Em
i took depo for 4yrs and honestly i wished i had not!! there are all bad things all over the interenet about this b/c and not good either. If you already have ur period bk that is good the sooner the better it took me 7 months to get mine bk.  since u do have ur period there is always a chance u can get prego but i read w/depo it stops ur ovulation period all together and it must be true because i have been TTC for 4yrs since i quit taking it and im still not prego!! if u took it for that long and really want a baby now i would suggest u star trying the OPK's and u dont get a + then i would suggest u taking vitex it will make u start ovulating again. Remember every1 is different though and has different reaction my sister in law get prego after 1 yr of stop taking depo but she only had 4 shots too. GL and baby dust to us all!!
I would suggest charting your basal body temp.  There is lots of info on the net about this.  It will help you determine whether or not you are ovualting.  Good luck to you.
I was on depo for 4 years and it was a big mistake here too! I was off of it for 7 years and still had irregular cycle and I started taking metformin and they returned. I agree with tanker chic... doing the temping is the best way to know if you ovulate... I've been doing it for over a year and it helps me even determine when AF is coming. Temping is even more accurate then the fertility monitor that I bought. Good Luck!