Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Luteal Phase Question??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

Luteal Phase Question??

SO, I am a little confused about something.  To my understanding your O day can vary but typically your luteal phase will be the same hense the outcome of different cycle lengths.  However, last several months my cycle has been about 33 days long and it was usually about 31days but when I started clomid it was 33 days.  So I started doing bbt and tracking my cycle and last cycle on clomid was 33 days O'd on CD 16 and Luteal Phase was 17 days. So my dr. was wrong when he said MOST woman's luteal phase is 14 days.  He also said the luteal phase always stays the same.  But this cycle, NO CLOMID, I O'd on CD 14 so I was expecting AF on CD 31 but it didnt come until CD 33 which made my luteal phase 19 days this cycle.  Isnt that weird??? Or have I just been mis-informed???  ANy input on this is much appreciated.  Thanks ladies and good luck to all of you!
HI there,

Yes, your doctor is wrong!  Many women have a luteal phase of 14 days...but certainly not all women do.  Generally, luteal phase stays the same, but can vary by a day or two.  My luteal phase is 12 - 13 days.  However, last cycle, for some strange reason, my luteal phase was 16 days.  My doctor told me not to worry about it...he says many women have an "off" month with a shorter/longer luteal phase than normal...he says as long as it doesn't happen all the time, it's generally nothing to worry about.

Best of luck to you.
I heard the same thing.  yes, most women have a luteal phase of 12-14 days.  Any shorter could be a sign of a problem but I see that is not your case.

I agree with above, a few deviations is probably nothing to worry about.  It it continues, you may want to seek another doctor's opinion on the matter.

good luck!
Dr is definitely wrong. Women's cycles are a lot like snowflakes as to how different they are. Lp should stay relatively close in length. My shortest is 12 days and my longest is 16 days. So there is room for a little play in there. Most of mine are 14 days. One of my longer ones was while on Clomid. Many women with Lp defects have been put on Clomid and it lengthened their Lp.
Yes, luteal phase should be about the same time, but it does vary.  Mine is usually 12 but sometimes 11 days.

Doc is likely using the old formula that most women have 28 day cycles, thus most have 14 day luteals.  That has been disputed for awhile, most people on this forum can attest to that.
Thanks ladies for the input.  I was pretty sure he was wrong but I am wondering.... all of you mention your luteal phase is much shorter than mine.  Mine was 17 days last month and 19 days this month.  Are there any Lp concerns I should have with a Lp that is long like mine???
Oh another question I have is that I have noticed my periods have been getting lighter and lighter in the past year.  I used to have a 5 day period of bleeding and 2-3 days of spotting but now my bleeding only lasts 2 days and about 3-4 days of spotting (brown stuff)  Should I be concerned???