Metformin for fertility?
Hi all - We are trying to conceive and I have just gotten back all of my results.
Ive just been diagnosed with PCOS and have been put on Metformin 500mg 2x day. I was just wondering if anyone knows much about this and if it actually works in helping you to conceive or if is just to correct what is wrong? I have insulin intolerance, cysts on my ovaries and dont appear to be ovulating however apparently all of my bloodwork was relatively normal. My uterus and endometrium are normal although one ovary is higher and larger than the other and doesnt seem to have any dominant egg.
I have to see my gyno again in 4 months when I will have more tests/ ultrasounds and I have to have bloods done for the next 2months on day 21. I felt quite uninformed when I left despite asking 100 questions. Ill google it and have a look but I though you girls may have some insider knowledge also. He also said to expect nausea.
Thanks for any help. xx
I think a lot of people on these forums take Metformin and/or Clomid.  I took both and am currently pregnant with triplets.  According to my dr., the Metformin will regulate your blood sugars (hopefully) and if those are under control, your body is more apt to ovulate on its own.  They started me on just metformin and I still wasn't ovulating on my own, so they added Clomid to get things going.  It took 6 cycles, but finally I got pregnant.  Good luck!
hey you im currently on metformin 500 mg a day i also take clomid cd 2-6. this is actually my 2nd cycle with metformin  & its going great. i dont have any side effect. is your metformin er (extended release)???  i've heard er is better no side effects. from my personal experience i think it must be true! no s/e for me! good luck!!!baby dust
I took Metofrmin and am also a PCOS patient.  It sucks and is a hard thing to deal with but it isn't impossible to have children. I have a 2 year old son and am currently taking prometrium to get pregnant again.  My advice is don't just talk to your OBGYN about your PCOS and tring to get pregnant it is best to go to a fertility Doctor that can look at your file with blood test, PCOS ect.....That is one thing I wish I would have done earlier ....
heya all.....     thanks for all your advice and support!
im waiting for my af to show before I start taking the metformin. (does this make a difference?) the doc said you may as well wait 'just incase i was preg' as I was due any day. i was due 4/5 days ago. did a hpt but was neg (of course.... they always are). Im going to be taking 2x 500mg metformin formet 500 tabs a day. it doesnt say if its extended release or not - bugger! Im in Australia maybe they call it something different here? The doc said I have Insulin Resistance also? I need to find out some more about PCOS and what it is properly. Do any of you know where there is some good info on it on the web? I think apart of me thinks I dont have it and the docs were over reacting but then I think.. well, test results and u/s's dont really lie do they? Itl be ok, Im only young and we are only at the beginning of our journey. I am lucky and blessed to have a wonderfully sweet and  supportive dh who is interested and really loves me and will be happy to share this journey with me! That above all else gives me hope. I just feel a failure sometimes when I have a sooky moment feeling sorry for myself... I think we all have those "poor me" moments dont we? I always thought a gyno/ obst was a fertility doctor? Do i go back to my local gp to get a referral?
thanks and congrats to all who are preg or good luck to those who are or are ttc!
S.S.B.D to all - xx keep postin! xx
Hi. I've PCOS too and on Metformin 1000mg 2xday, the max.  Diarrhea seems to be a problem occassionally especially when you first start taking it. I got pregnant through ivf in December but miscarried. So, it's not impossible to get pregnant.  Good Luck to you!!
Hi Shamanda, you said it took 6 cycles. Did you do artificial insemination or just took the metformin and clomin and conceived naturallY?
We tried for over a year to get pregnant but my progesterone was always low..I was then put on metformin. I took it for 4 wks & conceived!