Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Ovulation and IUI Questions!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Ovulation and IUI Questions!!

Any advise, Please!

I have pcos and am ttc, but am resulting to iui since it's been 2 1/2 years. This will be our first IUI so I have so many questions :) My RE prescribed me clomid 100mg for 5 days and I am also taking metformin. I had an u/s done October 7th to see if I am O'ing, but the follicle was only an 8 which he says needs to be at around 12-15 before I do the ovidrel shot for the iui. I will be going in next friday for another u/s to recheck for ovulation. If I am not o'ing he says he will start me on bcp for 45 days then clomid 100mg for 10 days and recheck for ovulation.

Does this sound right to anyone? I didn't think bcp would really help my situation, but I have no clue!

Is it even possible to get the follicle from an 8 to a 12-15 in a week? If so can I do anything to help??

ANY advise would be of help, I am so confused by this process and am wondering if this is normal?!?

Thanks Ladies
your doc is on the right track...bcp does wonders for patients with pcos...as for your follicle size it should reach more than 15mm in another week...bcos normally the graffian follicle grows @1.5-2mm/day...clomid and metformin are fine ..dont worry...good luck and SSBD on your way....
Thanks so much for responding so quickly!!
And thanks for your advise that is more comforting. I am so new to all of this! I am happy to hear that I still have time for my folly to grow some more! Thanks again!
What CD did you go in for your ultrasound?  I have PCOS and sometimes I would ovulate on CD 12 and sometimes not until CD 19.  Each cycle was different.  My RE never did the hcg shot until I had at least a 20mm follicle - always said that they need to be over 20 to be mature if there is only one.  If there are multiples then they can be smaller.  When I got pregnant this time around I had 3 follicles at the time of my trigger shot - 19, 21 and 24.  

I also did metformin and clomid 100mg.  Good luck!
Thanks for the comment! I was on cd11 with the first u/s. My fertility specialist doesn't have as high of standards. He wants to see my follie at 12-15mm, then I will do the Ovidrel shot, then the iui. I was at an 8mm last friday (the 7th) and I go back tomorrow (the 13th) so I am hoping I have a good shot to see it at, at least a 12. But we will see. Congrats on your pregnancy!
I would do some research.  I've been dealing with this for 5 years and met with many different fertility experts.  I've never heard a doctor administering the trigger shot for a 15 mm follie (unless there were several and that was the smallest).  The follicles are simply not mature enough to become a fertilized egg.  

They grow about 2 - 3 mm per day, so I'm hoping they were super huge!