FERTILITY / INFERTILITY / IVF
COMMUNITY
Pregnancy after Endometrial Ablation
by tracysue10, Feb 24, 2003
I am looking for more info on pregnancy after an endometrial ablation.  I had an ablation in May 2002.  January 2003 I was not feeling well and went to the family doctor.  She thought it may be an ectopic pregnancy since I was told I was sterile.  I had an ultrasound to discover it was an interuterine pregnancy and I was about 9 weeks.  I am now 17 weeks and for the past month trying to decide to terminate or continue.  I am having a very hard time finding any info on any one with this happening to them and the risks to me or my unborn child.  I have seen several doctors and none of them have ever heard of this happening and 2 have suggested termination.  I have an appointment with a high risk specialist on Thursday (02/27/03).  Please tell me where I can find more info or who to contact.  Thanks.
Member Comments (1449)
by nurse12hr, Feb 24, 2003
Hello
I am an OB nurse, so all I can give you is a reasonable reassurance that if you still had enough endometrium to support a pregnancy past the first trimester, you should be ok.

Now, given that your endometrium is most definately not normal, I am sure they will follow you very closely for signs that the pregnancy is developing normally.  The growth of the fetus, in particular, will be closely followed and you will be watched carefully for signs of preterm labor and/or placental abruption or abnormal placental implantation.

It is a wonderful thing that you are seeing a high risk obstetrician.  I am sure you will be given a detailed ultrasound to check for any fetal abnormalities.  This is usually done at the 16-17 week mark anyway.
Do not, however, expect that the OB will have a lot of knowledge of what happens with pregnancies after endometrial ablation.  I am sure it is quite rare.  It all comes down to whether things look good now, that you are followed extremely closely for complications, and that you are thoroughly taught the signs/symptoms of preterm labor.

Please post again to let me know what happens.  If you would like my email address, post a reply and i will be glad to give it to you.

good luck
christie
by tracysue10, Feb 24, 2003
Thanks for the info and I would like to have your email address to follow up.  I would like to give as much info to others that might come across this type of case in the future.  Thanks agian.
by nurse12hr, Feb 24, 2003
my address is ***@****

I hope everything turns out ok.
-christie
by Christie1, Feb 24, 2003

Hello Everyone,  I have a concern.

I recenlty had a sonagram and my Doctor told me that my baby didn't have a heartbeat, I ws so upset but he was like my child is dead, i was so hurt.  He said that I was 8 weeks pregnant,  I have a gut feeling that he is wrong, I read in books that the heart can be detected at 10 weeks or later. Please let me here some advice to really clam me, I am having another sonagram on 7 March 03.  

Thank You.
by nurse12hr, Feb 25, 2003
There is nothing wrong with having another sonogram, but if the first one was done transvaginally, there is little chance the OB was wrong.
I hope he was wrong, and that everything is ok.
by terrbear, Apr 22, 2003
I wonder how TracySue is doing with her pregnancy after endometrial ablation. I had an ablation 5 years ago and am now wanting to know if it's possible to get pregnant. There is not alot of info out there on the subject-and I will be having tests this week. Anyone with ANY info please write!
Thank You-
Terri
by terrbear, Apr 22, 2003
Thank You-
Terri
by Eliady, Aug 20, 2007
I just read your mail on pregnancy after endometrial ablation, I have just found out that I am pregnant and was wondering how you are, I dont want an abortion, nor am I hoping for a miscaraige, so please tell me you are doing fine and had a healthy baby....

regards El
by monzo1969, Aug 29, 2007
I am 37 and had ablation done in July 2004.  I had no periods afterwards until about 3 months ago I had a tiny bit of spotting, then again a few weeks ago.  I had been with the same man (who'd had a vasectomy) up until about 6 months ago and am now engaged to another man who is fertile.  Assuming I could not conceive, I used no birth control.  The past 2 weeks I've felt different--like I could be pregnant.  I go to the doctor 9/11.  What were your circumstances?  I want info on this please...

Monica