Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Questiona about Clearblue Fertility Monitor & peak reading

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Hi Ladies,  I have got a really dumb question which I thought I knew the answer to but as I am not managing to fall pregnant I might have been getting this all completely wrong!!!

I have a Clearblue Fertility Monitor which tells you the days you are most likely to fall pregnant on if you BD.. the readings go from low to medium and then to high (peak). On my monitor I get TWO peak days... Now my question is this. When I get those readings does that mean it has detected an LH surge and I am about to ovulate and if so then why does it pick it up on 2 days and which one should I take as the one I am about to ovualte on???

I have been starting my B'ding on the day before usually CD13 but my fertilty clinic think I should refrain from b'ding for a few days and then wait until I get my peak (as DH has borderline low sperm count). I don't know whether that means the first day I get peak of the second day I get the peak!!  TMI - Sorry (((Blush))) as I dont know which one I am going to be ovulating on. I know its best to get the sperm on its way before the egg is released but really don't want to miss it!!

I'm really confused now! Last month we did CD13 and CD14 but not CD15 - which I had the 2nd peak on.... obviously that didn't work!!

Also - if you get a postive and it has detected an LH surge then how long after that does ovulation take place??

I use the monitor (well, I did) but never really worked well for me. As soon as it gets a peak reading, it automatically gives you the two days of PEAK reading. I always BDed twice the day I got the peak reading (once as soon as I got it - DH was not happy about that!) and that night and usually try to BD at least once the next day. The PEAK is usually shown when the monitor finds an increase in LH. The increase is detected, peak ges on the monitor and it automatically gives you another day of peak. If DH has low sperm count I would BD the morning of the 2nd peak. I almost always O the day after my 1st peak reading. So if it is PEAK in the morning of the 1st day, wait until the morning of the 2nd peak reading!! Maybe this will help. The little dudes will either greet a waiting egg or get there a little a head of schedule and have to wait for the eggie :) Hoep this helps. Based on the temp charts I kept while I was using the monitor, this is the pattern I found :) Good luck!!

Jen
Thanks Jen that gives me new hope for this cycle. I was gutted because OH was given a nightshift on CD14 and I thought we were going to miss out but given your theory I think if I grab him Sunday morning (CD15) before he goes to sleep, we might actually get it right!! Given what you have said and the new revelation of OH low sperm count its all much clearer now & does explain why I haven't got that BFP. Thank you so much - I am excited now!! Thanks for the luck - fingers crossed

Deb