Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Stopped birth control

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

Stopped birth control

I stopped taking my birth control 14 months ago and didn't wait til my cycle was over, I still had half of my pills left. Two days after I stopped I had the biggest most horrible period of my life, and it had only been a week since I had been on my period.my question is, since I didn't wait until I was done with my pills did it wack my hormones out so much that its making it hard to conceive? My husband and I haven't been being carful at all and it's been over a year now and nothing. Any thoughts on this is much appreciated!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
Sudden stoppage of the pills causes withdrawal bleeding. It does not lead to difficulty in conceiving. You may try having sex during ovulation. This increases the chances of conception. Ovulation occurs at different times in different women, depending upon the length of your menstrual cycle. Ovulation predictor kits can help you determine when you are ovulating. Since it is more than a year and you have not conceived seek the opinion of an infertility expert. You will need evaluation for hormonal imbalances, PCOD, Pelvic inflammatory disease, blocked fallopian tubes; thyroid disorders and ovulation disorder etc.A baseline scan, hormonal profile and thyroid tests may be helpful. Do keep me posted.
Best of luck and regards!
Thank you for replying! That helps a lot, ya I don't know what it could be :-/. Neither me or my husband have ever been with anyone else. Idk if that helps. But ya everything I have read says you should conceive within a year. I guess we'll just have to do some testing!:-/