Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
What is the minimum hcg for a +ve pregnancy test?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

Well, my IVF cycle hcg result was 8, 13 days a after 3 day transfer. My doctors office told me it is chemical pregnancy. I actually took a second opinion and I was told that HCG < 10 is a negative pregnancy and is not chemical. According to my doctors office hcg < 1 is a negative and anything above 1 is positive. Whom should I believe?
Anyone here has any idea what is the minumum hcg for a +ve pregnancy test even if it is a chemical?
I think the biggest piece is that you have a second hcg test done to see if it has increased.  From my understading if it is a chemical pregnancy that number will not increase.  I thought the cutoff number was 5.  Hopefully, someone else can provide you with more info.  However, at minimum you should request a second test.
hello firstly i'm congratulating you because my gp would say 8 is a positive as you are only just pregnant, my gp says anything over 5. My first level was 23 and that might have been on 14dpt. Next if i was you , wait a few days and go get another test and see if level is rising, stay optimistic. Don't know if i told you, we have reconsidered, and after trying naturally again the nextcouple of months we are going to have one more shot at  ivf in august, this is due to the fact the ivf did work, i just unfortunetly miscarried. keep me updated on your progress, everyones kind comments on these posts have really helped me through the last 2 weeks. xx
Yes, my first beta was on 13th which showed 8. They asked me to stop my progesterone. I stopped it that night. Next day I dint get my periods. Saturday I started spotting in the afternoon and my night it was full flow. I have extremely severe cramps. I always had cramps before but never to this extent. I was having pain all over lower abdomen. I was crying even after taking two tylenols.

I had a second test today as ordered. But I dont understand why I had to take the test as I already got my periods. I am waiting for my nurse to call.
So number 8 is definitely chemical isnt it. I dont know what to do feel so bad about the whole thing.
I am so happy to hear you have reconsidered! That is great and I really feel that things will work out for you this time. I wish you the best on trying naturally and then I am sure if that doesn't work you will get your little after your next IVF. Stay positive and glad to hear your spirits are back up!
I think that my doc says that anything over 5 is a pregnancy...
dont give up hope yet!!
Thank you for your comments. Yes we talked all weekend and like i said due to the fact the ivf  DID  work, i just miscarried and we have been left some money from my dads will, we are in a position to have another shot.
we will try naturaly till august then start the process again, we know what to do so the nurse at the clinic said when i get mt period at end july just come and get buserelin and treatment plan and off we go again. Hopefully we won't get to this stage and i will conceive naturally! keep me updated on your progress, reading peoples highs and lows does help as i like to respond back to anyone feeling like i did last week and still do at different times.lots love melissax
hello again, i do not understand much about chemical pregnancy and hcg levels, i just was told anything over 5 at the beginning was positive. wait til the nurse calls and go from there, wishing you all the best, let me know how things goxx
Thanks to all for your kind words. Have lot of questions now. Waiting to go see the doc. Thanks again. Good luck Mel on your attempts. Hope you will conceive naturally itself.