Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Why would sperm count/motility decrease?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Hi ladies,

I am 28 and he is 32.

Let me post my story in brief to save time. Though I try my level best worry has started creeping in to our life regarding conception!

Last year we got to know that my husband had motility problems. The doc gave him some medicine which showed no results other than the acne on his face. After a few months again we checked to find that motility had decreased. Due to some personal problems we could not continue the treatment and had to wait.

Then again the gynaec prescribed him some antibiotic and lycopene for motility. Not only that there was no improvement but it had again dropped down. She said that it was expected and that we could do an IUI.

I have some knowledge that IUI may not work with poor sperm count and motility and I did not like the idea. But my husband is very stubborn and I have to coax him a couple of months for a SA or doc visit.

A GP has recommended him to an Andrologist/Urologist for physical examination though she had no answer to why his motility and count is decreasing over the period of time.

To add, we were under tremendous stress for the past 2 years. I mostly have libido when it comes to that. I know it is depressing for my husband but it is too early to lose hope. Also, he is a lil obese and very lazy to exercise daily. Too much insistence from my side does nothing causes me a good night's sleep.

I am a little scared. Please let me know if you have any info, thanks a lot.

Luv u all
iui is suppose to be good if u have low sperm count. I know if u want to try a cheep way to improve things. u can go to walmart and buy L cartine (sp) and zink. they are suppose to help. dh took them but we didnt knwo that he naturally had a high count so we dint really know if ithelped.  Good luck they are aroudn $4 per bottle.
Hey pro728, first of all dont stress out too much. Sperm issues are so common these days due to various problems. There are options that could help you to conceive. If count is too low, natural conception may be a bit difficult. Seeing a urologist may be a good idea, to see if there are any blockages or so. Also his hormones can be tested for testestorone, my DH gave up alchohol for some time, had a pill called MFS coast reproductive, and should stop wearing tight underpants, as well no hot water showers.

IUI or ICSI IVF are options to get pregnant. We did one ICSI round, due to egg issues, it ended up in early miscarriage. We are doing another cycle in november 2011.

Good luck. stop worrying hon. there are ways to resolve it.
Dear ladies,

Love you for your replies.

my DH is going in for a biopsy at the recommendation of a Uro. He wants to study the cells before he can make a comment. I am damn scared so to say because I can feel myself getting a mother drive. And my DH is low.

I am ready to go for IVF but I do want him fully healthy and happy.

All the best to you!

Thanks again.