Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
how much does IUI cost?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

how much does IUI cost?

So I have PCOS, I'm 31 and I'm on my 4th round of clomid, but I'm starting to lose hope.  I do not get af on my own (need provera to get it), much less O, so if it doesn't work, I don't know what I will do because IUI and IVF are NOT covered on our insurance.  I'm beginning to think that if I want IUI done, I need to do it while I can still take clomid, because I'm doubtful that a shot would be enough for me, since my cycle is so wacky and basically nonexistent.  I have an appointment scheduled w/an RE, but he's scheduling so far in advance that it isn't til Sept, and by then I should be done with my 6th and final treatment of clomid so it will be too late.  Does anyone know how much IUI costs WITHOUT, I repeat, WITHOUT insurance covering any portion of it?  Has anybody out there paid completely out of pocket?  I need to start considering funding resources now, as well as holding off on my last 2 rounds of clomid if it's something I think we could swing financially.
I don't know firsthand, but have seen a few posters say $300-400. Much more economical than IVF. If I don't get pg in 3 rounds of clomid I'm going to ask about it next.
Your doctor can do IUI with different meds, like Femara or even injectables. Good luck.
Insurance can be a bit misleading.  For instance my insurance says it doesn't cover IUI or IVF.  This is misleading, because it made me think I would have to pay for everything myself but that is not the case.  Insurance pays for the RE visits, ultrasounds and meds.  I pay for the actual IUI and sperm washing, which comes to $300.  

Another thing that is misleading is my insurance booklet says it does NOT pay for IUI or IVF meds, but that is because the medication part of my insurance is actually a different insurance company and they do cover it.  

If you call an RE and give them your insurance info, they can tell you exactally what your insurance will and will not cover.  Good luck.
Mine was $440.  That was the sperm washing, s/a and actual insemination.  Ultrasounds, hcg shots, etc. are extra but due to circumstances, we didn't have to have the u/s or hcg shot. Altogether, it would have been around $800 for everything.  Our insurance doesn't pay for anything related to infertility so we would have to had paid all of that.
I go to University of Michigan and they charge $800, Oakland Hospital charges $275 so I will be going there soon :)
Thanks ladies - I'm thinking it may be partially covered like what Tanker Chic described.  So far my clomid isn't even covered, and when I called the ins co they said as soon as I get a diagnosis of "infertility" - they won't even pay for a doctor's visit.  HOWEVER, they said they WOULD pay for OB and RE visits until that is "officially" determined - this is confusing.  So maybe they would pay for the IUI if it works cuz that would prove I'm not "infertile"???? - who the hell knows these days.  So far they did pay for most of my HSG, all of my ultrasounds and all of my doctor's visits (minus copays of course) plus all the blood tests I've been getting to test progesterone and for pregnancy - but he has been very crafty and has been putting down things like amenorrhea (since I don't get af on my own) or stuff having to do w/cysts in the official "diagnosis" section.  It's been working so far.  I just wanted to be prepared and know the full cost if it came down to it.  With my husband's student loans next year, we just may be able to swing it!  Thanks again
My RE says he took me off of clomid this cycle, because it was causing my endometrium to be too thin.  Same thing you are talking about.  In previous months he gave me a shot of estrogen to compensate, but this cycle he decided to take me off of the clomid.  And I was only on 12.5 mg (a quarter of the lowest possible dose).  He also said that injectables do not cause this but if you insurance doesn't cover them, they are very expensive.  Luckily mine does.  If I don't get my bfp this cycle, I'm going to really push for the injectables.    
Just be careful about taking clomid for too many months in a row....it is known to make your linig thin out.... so before you spend the $ on the clomid/IUI, make sure you take a break from the clomid, or ask about letrozole (femara) - it's like clomid but not a lot of side effects and it does not thin out your lining....AND then do the femara or clomid with the IUI. Unfortunately, I learned the hard way and used clomid 6 times in a row.  Let's just say it didn't work AND I read in books and on the internet, to not use for more than 3 consecutive months...hope this helps...good luck
Hey....with the injectibles, you may get more of a response...they are heavy duty drugs...some people get 8 follies.... and they will probably talk to you about selective reduction....  The people you see on TLC,etc...with the quads, quints, etc... are the ones who took the injectibles....  I skipped the injectibles and went straight to IVF ( I realize that most people cannot afford to do this)...but I take the same injectibles as what you would take..... good luck to you!!!
Anyone know the success rate with IUI using Follistim injectibles at age 41?
me & my husband have been trying to conceive now for 2 years, i've been diagnosed with pco's and my cycles are irregular (my period comes 6 days earlyer then the month before) latly for 2 mths.. i was on Clomid for 3 months.. nothing happened.. and im stressing about going back to see about and IUI or IVF..because im not sure it would even work.. although every doctor i have seen said i CAN get pregnant. Thats pretty much all thats keeping me going... but does anyone have any suggestions...
my husband and i would like to have a baby but we have to have In Vitro Fertilization is there a place near PA. that doesn't cost to much to have it done please let me know a.s.a.p. thank you all for your time.you can email me at ***@**** just put in the subject about In Vitro Fertilization so i know not to get rid of it .thank you again all .
we paid $275 for the semen wash, $272 for the actual insemination by my GYN and $50 for the u/s.
i have done 8 rounds of clomid (shich was covered)  with 2 IUIs trigger shots and lots of BFN.
We are now seeing a RE which is not covered at all. After this cycle we are doing letrozole with IUI with the RE.  if that doesnt get me a BFP - on to IVF - sigh!
GL to you!
Have you ever gotten your period without provera while taking clomid????/Because if not then clomid never made you ovulate also how much clomid do you take hopefully at least 150mgs. I would suggest using femera instead of clomid and injectables before you start iui you never no maybe that will work. The injectables are very powerful.
I just wanted to let everyone know (just in case they didn't) that Walmart has the $4 prescription list and Chlomiphene is on there for $9! I know I used to pay like $50 for it a few years ago, so I am sure it is more now. Just a heads up. Every little bit helps!
Good luck to all.
~K~
hey i was just wondering common infertility drug costs without insurance...  i have  PCOS, And im considering an IUI and it takes Provera for me to have a cycle. I have been tryning to convieve for 5yrs. im in my 20's... im sure to afford eveything it may take a bit for us to save up, so i'd just like to know what to aim for savings wise. i havent used clomid or  anything just yet.
We had our first IUI last month and the total came to just shy of $700. This was without insurance.
Clomid- 15.00 (with insurance)
Ovidrel- 35.00 (with insurance)
Ultrasound- 179.00 (not covered)
IUI- 459.00 (not covered)
I just went to my RE last week and we are set up for an IUI in Decemer. The IUI is 500.00 and the US are 249.00 each. My insurance will cover the medication. The insurance would cover the US if we wanted to do timed intercourse for one month and see how it goes.
After two trips to UROL for my husband his two SAs,  U/S,  hormone level check - he has low sperm count.  His urol says only option is ivf w/ a count at 8.9 mill/ml.  My ob/gyn is recommending clomid with iui - any experience with femera or info on increased risks?  Thanks ladies - you have been far more helpful than most...  GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL!
I've bben ttcin g for almost 2 yrs. Had 3 femara cycles. My docotor suggested we started iui in january. but i don't have any insurance and all our paymenst have been out of pocket. Does anyone know how much iui costs in Toronto and the success rate?
I don't really believe what my doctor says, cause it turned out he was telling us to try on the wrong days, cause my ovulation varies.
WOW i thought i was the only one whos been trying for years. i too have been trying for 5 years and i rarely get cycles i only get them when i use provera i have done the clomid cycle but that didnt work, now theyre telling me i need to do the injectables and the cost just for the injections is 2000.00 if you find out anything cheaper to do please let me know or email me at ***@****. and i will do so also ... it feels nice to speak to women who are going through the same as i. good luck with your form of treatment.
it would let u post email addresses. u have to leave spaces. I have been trying for  5 years.  the  type of inject-able  varys  in cost.  gonal f is cheaper than follistim.  also u can find girls on here with extra that will often give it to u for a cut in cost.
My doctor just prescribed letrozole to increase ovulation.It is normally used to treat breast cancer. I have done my research and it is suppose to be better than clomid and since it not "a fertility drug" it is covered by most insurance companies. I hope this helps. Good luck.
where in Maryland can i find a place that can do the IUI ? i am looking for a place .I live in in upper marlboro  in maryland so i would like to find out which is close to me and can help me with the amount i see here
Where did you go exactly
It depends on the place and exactly what you need. Get the RE opinion, but know if they need to do testing like and HSG or laparoscopy, your GYN should be able to do those and have them covered. We had our GYN complete those before we officially looked at IUI. If you have already done some of that testing, great. If not, at least ask about the HSG, because it will verify if your fallopian tubes are open for IUI to be successful. Insurance usually covers that from a gyn, but it will make you meet your deductible. Know that for that kind of testing, you can ask for a self pay rate. Ours was $200. We opted for that instead if meeting the total of our $1000 deductible.
Our insurance doesn't cover IUI or IVF, but would cover ultrasounds and blood tests leading up to it and post insemination. It would not cover the actual IUI or the injection to drop the eggs. We sought 2 opinions. The IUI itself ranged $250-400. The injection to drop the eggs was about $150-200, but it was not a guarantee if you would need it. Total cost without any insurance coverage was $2500-3500, between both groups. One accepted our insurance and the other didn't. You can contact your insurance company ahead of time and clarify if they would cover the ultrasound and bloodwork if submitted by that group. We did have 1 group that suggested 2 days of IUI, back to back, 1 day before ovulation and the day if to increase chances if fertilization. Each group also offered payment plans for IUI and IVF.
It is also worth asking about femara, because some people actually respond better to that and are able to ovulate better than on clomid without needing IUI.
Good luck!
Thanks so much for your postings, it is very informative. I am 38yrs old, been TTC for 1 yrs; after finding my Right One. He has Low sperm count, his Urologist prescribed some meds 3 months ago to help with Testorone  level and eventually rise the count, I understand this med can take up to 6 months before one can see any count improvement. To me, this is taking forever and we are considering IUI. Thanks again for your inform. I wish all those Women struggling like myself out there Good Luck with your plan of TTC and lots of Baby dust. Don't give up my sisters!!!
I pay out of pocket about little over a thousand. That includes labs sperm washing and ultrasound. Plus them doing the iui
My doctor used the diagnosis of irregular or heavy periods to get the Clomid covered.  I just found out my husband's swimmers aren't swimming, so IUI will probably be my next option.  Glad to see it is sooo less expensive than IVF.
I am 35 and starting my first round of IUI this month, along with the fertility injections (a year of Clomid in pill form didn't help my unexplained infertility; all my and my husbands' tests came out fine).  The IUI they've told me will be about $300, but it's the fertility drugs themselves (Follistim) that is expensive:  for about a 10-day run (150 IU per daily dose), it's $1300, just for the one month.  If your doctor thinks you need a larger daily dosage, then it would cost more.  My bloodwork and ultrasounds and office visits are covered (mostly) by insurance, but not the IUI or injections at all.  But I do know some insurances do cover %s of fertility treatments, so it's always worth a shot.  

The doctor's office did recommend First Steps Design RX for financial assistance (http://www.fertilitybydesign.com/PatientPortal/Designrx/FirstSteps.aspx)...however I made too much.   IVFinsurance.com offers for $25, $100 off every $1000 spent on fertility medicine (thru the Walgreen Specialty Pharmacy) - I did the latter, it was worth it.  

Here's hoping to success the first time!!  Like this isn't hard enough of an emotional process without having the financial cost!  Good luck to all who are trying :)