Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
miscarriage and trisomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

miscarriage and trisomy

I recently had a miscarraige (miscarriage) at 6 weeks 5 days after seeing a fetal heartbeat of 120 at 5 weeks 5 days.  I just received the results of the embryonic testing: 14 chromsomes were suspicious of trisomy and 6 chromosomes were normal.  My Dr. wants me to see a genetic specialist before trying to conceive again.  Would the baby have been born with Down's syndrome if it went to term?  What are the chances of this happening again.  I'm 36 years old and this was my first pregnancy.
Each pair of chromosomes are numbered, half of the pair coming from the mother and half coming from the father.  Downs syndrome is a genetic abnormality of the 21 set of chromosomes where 3 chromosomes are present.  It is impossible to pinpoint whether Down's was the cause of the miscarriage with the information you mention, however, your doctor would have this information if they did do the testing you mention.  With the high number of chromosomes that "suspicious" it is unlikely that Downs was the only cause.  It is wise that your doctor has recommended a genetic specialist for you - I had this done as I am 40 years old TTC conceive for the first time.  Although this is a sad time, please do not lose hope.  I have 40 years old and 19weeks along after two years of TTC......  It was a specialist that helped my husband and I.

Good luck to you and please keep us all posted on your success.  
I highly doubt an embryo with 14 trisomies would ever be viable.  Even if just one chromosome is a trisomy it can cause major problems, much less 14 of them!!!  It would be good to talk to a genetic counselor though.  Most trisomies happen by random chance but some people may be more susceptible to them.  I am 37y and saw a genetic counselor yesterday.  I will be 38y at delivery.  He said my overall chance for trisomies is 1:80 or 1.25%.  That is pretty low.  I had two miscarriages before this one but have found that most docs do not test the nonviable material.  They never tested mine.  Also miscarriage is very very common, especially with first pregnancies.  I am sorry you had to go through this - it is very hard but be assured you will get pregnant again and most likely will not have any problems.  Best of luck.
My wife had 3 miscarriages. For all 3 there was no heart beat, no fetal pole.
Miscarriages were happened within 1 to 2 months. Last time we checked kareotyping for product & it was found that trisomy 16 caused this.  We did kareotyping 2 times for ourseves . In one time tests showed normal count but  telometrric association on multiple cromosomes for my wife. I am very confused as doctors have different views. Someone is saying that it might repeat & so you should try with ivf with donor egg.  Someone is saying you should try normally & it has a chance of normal pregnancy. Can anyone suggest what should I do now.
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers